General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn signal indicator broken ? pictures posted

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal indicator broken ? pictures posted

Noticed today my turn signal was all kinds of messed up. The level feels like it's free floating and will not activate the turn signals. All the buttons work fine, and even will kinda click back to turn on the brights but the up and down its just feels like it's floating around and won't activate the turn signals almost like something snapped maybe ? pictures posted

Old 06-30-2014, 12:00 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If you go to step 19 in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...mn-repair.html

you'll see the parts you have an issue with. The turn signal switch is inside the column and surrounds the steering shaft. The lever is attached to the switch with a linkage and if its floppy then one of those parts/springs is probably broken or out of place.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

I'm going to rip it apart tomorrow. My buddy has a steering wheel puller. Plus my column isn't secured property it has a lot of bend in it from the previous owner pushing on the steering wheel when he got in and out of the car. I'd love to actually replace the steering wheel with a sparco but that's a winter project. I hate airbags I've been hit with one and hated every second of it and so did my nose.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

alright took it apart today. Found a lever looking thing that has a little circular **** on one side and a hole on the hole side like it slides into something. Whatever part that is broke in half. Feels like a cheap piece metal. I take it that's my issue ?
Old 07-01-2014, 06:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

That is your turn signal linkage. The picture at step 19 in the link above has the linkage screw labeled. Just that one screw holds the linkage in place. I imagine that half of the linkage is still there. The other half, which I imagine you found, is the other half. It has a **** on the end that engages the mechanism that the turn signal stalk is attached to.

... that would be your issue.

That all being said I've never heard of that part breaking before. Your turn signal switch (the white/tan plastic mechanism with the metal parts) may need lubrication. White lithium grease will do the trick.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Hmmm weird I didn't see a screw holding the other end in. Unless my buddy took the screw out. But yeah it was snapped in half piece is called the turn signal actuator brace
Old 07-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Ok correction the screw is there
Old 07-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

7827038 is the GM part number and dealerships either have it or can get it. 10 bucks. Mine will be here tomorrow. Figured I'd post it incase anyone has this same issue. Also I'm missing the rubber grommet that sits in that housing mine is gone going to have to find that housing number next

Quick Reply: Turn signal indicator broken ? pictures posted