Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Upgrade to LS6 intake or no?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Upgrade to LS6 intake or no?

So I'm nearing the completion of my twin-turbo project with my GTM. I wasn't planning on doing anything to the engine at first because I will just go forged later. However, in order to get the oilpan out of the car, I had to remove a lot of things, including the intake manifold (to get clearance when lifting the engine). I got to thinking whether or not to upgrade the intake manifold to the LS6 or not since now the intake is removed.

Think it's worth it or just hold out for when I change to a forged motor? I was at 333rwhp/331tq when it was tuned and N/A. Hoping for around 500'ish when I'm done, and once forged, who knows.

Currently a 2001 LS1, bone stock
Twin 6266's
7# springs in the wastegates
60# injectors
Kooks longtubes

TL;DR version (LS6 intake on a twin turbo worth the upgrade or not?)

Picture for good measure:

Old 06-30-2014, 07:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Waste of money If you ask me
Old 06-30-2014, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mightymouse went well into the 8's with a stock ls1 throttle body and intake manifold in a 3600lb car. I think you should be fine with one
Old 06-30-2014, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IDK about the intake but man is that set up COOL!
Old 06-30-2014, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Your setup looks real nice, "but" it sure would have been been better to mount those intercoolers outside of the engine compartment. They are going to get heat soaked pretty bad...

But again really nice looking setup!
Old 07-01-2014, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazing setup, stick with the ls1 intake for now, unless you upgrade to a Hi-Ram or super vic.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

Dan,

I agree an LS6 intake would be a waste of money.

I figure Nic is going to tune the car correct? I see you have 60 lb injectors, are you going with 91?
Old 07-01-2014, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

**might help to wrap the intercoolers in heat barrier/reflective material...just a thought to help reduce the amount of heat soak.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:47 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Depends what you can pick on up for. They are worth about 20-30 at the flywheel on the articles I've read. That will double at 15lbs of boost. So if you can grab one cheap and additional 40-60hp sounds ok to me. I just can't ever find one for what I'd consider reasonable.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the intake is stock from your 2001 engine, you already have an ls6 intake.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tonypaul
Your setup looks real nice, "but" it sure would have been been better to mount those intercoolers outside of the engine compartment. They are going to get heat soaked pretty bad...

But again really nice looking setup!
Yeah, unfortunately, real estate on the car is VERY limited. I actually have 9 different intercoolers sitting in my garage that I have purchased and tried in various iterations. I do have a box full of heat wrap, heat shielding, heat management products too. Heat in the engine bays are a problem in these turbos or not, so it's certainly just going to get worse. I plan to add meth injection at some point as well as I had tremendous luck with that on my Typhoon. In the Typhoon, the water/air intercooler sat right over the downpipe and had heat soak issues as well. The meth injection was great, had 90 degree intake temps on a 115 degree day at 26psi.

I will seriously look into relocation up and off to the sides once I swap the motor. That will involve moving the PCM, modifying the harness, etc. So it's a relatively big chore to do with the motor installed. I have a pair of intercoolers that would tuck nicely up into those spots, but on the passenger side, the PCM and accompanying modules sit there.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SM105K
Dan,

I agree an LS6 intake would be a waste of money.

I figure Nic is going to tune the car correct? I see you have 60 lb injectors, are you going with 91?
Yes, Nic is going to be tuning the car. He already has once when it was N/A. I went with the 60# injectors at his recommendation, and yes going with 91. May do E85 down the road when I go forged and high boost, but that is a whole new can of worms because the Porsche transaxle will only hold around 500ish torque. The eventual plan is go forged, and swap the transaxle to that out of a Gallardo. I figured the UGR guys are having luck with those, but that's a $22k bill to get that done.

Baby steps.

Here's Nic tuning the car a few months back:

Old 07-01-2014, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2muchboostNY
**might help to wrap the intercoolers in heat barrier/reflective material...just a thought to help reduce the amount of heat soak.
Yeah, I used to work with a company that does very elaborate, expensive heat management materials. I am thinking of working out a deal with them. I also want to run some sort of heat shield to reduce the direct heat exposure.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bigmandengo
If the intake is stock from your 2001 engine, you already have an ls6 intake.
Really? I have the intake off right now, I'll have to check. The LS1's are curved on the bottom and LS6 is flat, if my memory serves me correctly. I'm stuck at the office right now though.

Edit: Just read up on this. Holy crap thank you. I'm glad I didn't just drop $450 for nothing.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

Looks good, should be a monster, considering how light it is.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PPI Typhoon
Yeah, unfortunately, real estate on the car is VERY limited. I actually have 9 different intercoolers sitting in my garage that I have purchased and tried in various iterations. I do have a box full of heat wrap, heat shielding, heat management products too. Heat in the engine bays are a problem in these turbos or not, so it's certainly just going to get worse. I plan to add meth injection at some point as well as I had tremendous luck with that on my Typhoon. In the Typhoon, the water/air intercooler sat right over the downpipe and had heat soak issues as well. The meth injection was great, had 90 degree intake temps on a 115 degree day at 26psi.

I will seriously look into relocation up and off to the sides once I swap the motor. That will involve moving the PCM, modifying the harness, etc. So it's a relatively big chore to do with the motor installed. I have a pair of intercoolers that would tuck nicely up into those spots, but on the passenger side, the PCM and accompanying modules sit there.
I have a turbo LS in a Lambo Diablo replica (in Texas) so I have been fighting all the heat issues that comes with these mid-engine combinations. I hope you get it all working good its a great looking car!
Old 07-01-2014, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Amazing car and build... I would love to build one some day! In the dyno vid it looks like the rear wheels are seeing a LOT of tie rod deflection under WOT with good traction. It becomes very obvious when he lifts the throttle. It may be worth looking into beefier tie rods or at least sleeves, especially with your higher HP goals. Keep the updates coming.

Quick Reply: Upgrade to LS6 intake or no?