Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Breaking in new engine and turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking in new engine and turbo

Is it okay if I installed both my newly built engine and turbo and run break in oil? Will the turbo okay? Also is there any special procedures I need to do to the turbo before installing it? It will run on lowest boost setting when I install it.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2014, 04:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right or wrong, lol. This is what i did.

I started off with some run of the mill conventional oil with turbo on (i use 20W50 oil all the time)

I use my turbowerx pump and pumped backward into the engine until oil came from the pushrods and then kept pumping, i pumped about 2 gallons doing this and letting it drain down each time, (most will disconnect coils and fuel and crank until they see pressure, should happen fast)

I fired it up and let it run up to operating temp.

Then i let it sit and changed the oil the next day. (and filter)

Then i ran it again, this time letting it run for over for a few hours, and i was playing around in the driveway, whatever have you, tuning, etc, and changed the oil again.

Now ive had fresh oil in it 3 times, driving it for a week or so then i'll change it again and that'll be it until regular intervals.

As far as the turbo, once i got done pumping the engine full of oil, i swapped over and ran a quick bit into the -4 feed fitting on the top of turbo. I fed the oil for the motor through the oil block off plate where most of us get our turbo oil feed from.

Quick Reply: Breaking in new engine and turbo