Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

need help rebuild 10 bolt or......

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help rebuild 10 bolt or......

Hey guys and girls.... I have an 2002 a4 camaro with stock ratio and rear...I have recently been given the green light by the better half to spend some of our hard earned.i am a dyi guy and have gone through hell and back for this car..better half totaled my 2000 and had to take all my guts and install into a roller car. had to re wire whole car headlight to tail lamp.any who enough with the back ground story. I got on this site to decide what to do with the rear..build stock or buy 12 (I don't want a 9 it just feels too ford for me) second off I used hard earned because I work really hard for what I have so I want the most cost effective date option but something I can beat on a Little bit.i have 450 whp 500 ft lbs I think I want a 373 but I am open to opinions. I ran a 11.42 118 with stock gear but was too afraid to stall up due to stock rear so I want to dip into low 11 s maybe 10 s soo help if u guys can. Need to know where to go and all

Last edited by millerman16; 06-30-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

12 bolt if you got the cash. To hit those numbers you need either a hard launch or hella big end. Big end means a lot more power so either way you need a stronger axle. Get a welder and build one yourself for less if you got the skill.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I went with a 12 bolt and have been pleased. I've even had some suspension issues lately and been wheel hopping it in the 1.5x 60ft range with no issues. That says a lot to me because wheel hop can tear some **** up. I will say, depending on your setup and what its doing now, you may run slower with the bigger rear end. I was dead hooking my 10 bolt giving it 100% so a bigger rear end just slowed me down from parasitic loss....but the reliability is what your after. Here's my setup: https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...t-install.html
Old 07-01-2014, 10:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like my S60 and think you can't go wrong with it plus it costs less than a 12 bolt. I completely understand working hard for the money. After you get a new rear if you ever need to sell it you'll get 2/3s of your money back, I think thats pretty good for used hi-po stuff. You can get into a S60 with a spool for $2035, give Carl at CRP a call, he's got a sale going on and a great guy to deal with.
http://www.centralracingparts.com/s6...gs-for-f-body/
Old 07-01-2014, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are looking for reliability upgrade the rear. Since you mentioned working hard for your money and wanting to do this cheaply, I'd suggest start looking around the classifieds here for a used 12 bolt. They come up fairly often and are pretty cheap used--probably one of the cheaper of the 3 to buy used (12 bolt, 9", S60). I got mine with a driveshaft, adjustable LCAs, panhard bar, sway bar, complete brake setup, and setup for 3 or 4 channel for $2200 shipped. That's like over $400 of parts thrown in, so the rear cost me around $1700. It had an Eaton posi too, not a spool, and was setup for ABS. Can't beat that with a stick.

Quick Reply: need help rebuild 10 bolt or......