Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Racetronix installed. low psi and very lean! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Racetronix installed. low psi and very lean! HELP!

Alright I'm about to pull my hair out about this one. 1999 ls1 body.

Few days ago I installed the racetronix pump, hotwire kit, as well as my glow shift fuel pressure gauge and AEM wideband.

Now I am having issues with the car.
1.) It takes way too long cranking before it starts, the pump will turn on and I can hear it prime but doesn't show any psi on the fuel pressure gauge. Once running the gauge is only showing about 40psi at idle.
2.) Directly related to the lack of fueling issue above, my A/F ratio at idle bounces all around from about 14.5-17 and with a snap of the throttle leans out so far the gauge go past 18 and reads "---". WAAAYYY TOO LEAN! Once RPM's come back down the A/F reads about 13.2-13.6 for a brief moment and then leans out and bounces all around in the red again.
3.) Took the car for a quick spin, thinking that since the battery was off for so long it might be running rough because it was relearning. The car is sluggish as all hell, and when giving it some gas, the motor revved up but it was so sluggish (from not enough fuel) it didn't really get going at all.

I have ran the car with and without the hotwire kit, makes no difference.
I have pulled the pump back out and inspected it and it seems to look fine.

Please help as this is setting me way behind on my pro charger build but obviously need to get this resolved before even thinking about starting that.

Thanks in advance

Dan
Old 07-01-2014, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Anybody with any ideas or thoughts to help me think this through would be great.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

In tank leak.......
Old 07-02-2014, 08:03 AM
Launching!

That's what I'm assuming as well, either the fuel hose has a small leak or the check valve in the pump went bad.
Any ideas on how to test/run the pump out of the tank. So I can watch for leaks.

I was thinking about getting bucket and putting some fuel in it then running the pump while looking for leaks.

Do you think this could work?
Old 07-02-2014, 10:54 AM
Launching!

I talked to Lonnie and he helped me out. I pulled the bucket and put an put an air gun to it(pressure on tank turned way down to about 45psi) then gave a puff of air into the feed port on top of the pump...it proved a decent sized leak in the fuel flex hose.

So I owe a big thanks to Lonnie (from lonnies performance) for helping me out, I will definitely be recommending him as well as making future purchases through him.

Now my question is what size hose to I need to order? Along with 2 new crimp ear hose clamps.

Thanks
Old 07-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cleaned this thread up a bit...there's good tech content here that I'd like to keep, so let's keep it to that.

Any beef with Racetronix can be put in the Sponsor Feedback section.

Thanks fellers.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Link to correct OEM nylon in tank fuel tubes.
http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=
Old 07-23-2014, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Just an update I got the new hose in the tank and its good on starting and idles smooth but still showing very lean at WOT. Both my electronic and mechanical fuel gauge show 60psi at full throttle.

Still at a loss trying to figure out the lean issue. Have tested about everything I can think of. The AEM gauge just got sent to them for testing and possible repair if that's the issue but I feel that's doubtful.

Quick Reply: Racetronix installed. low psi and very lean! HELP!