General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

In dash volt gauge junk?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In dash volt gauge junk?

When the car is cold gauge shows 14 or so volts, like normal. Once it is warmed up it will dip to 12 volts just above the orange on occasion, however I get a steady 12.9 volts at the battery even when it is reading this low. Car runs great, starts up fine even after sitting for quite a few days in a row.

Battery, alternator and excitor wire are all brand new and not remaned junk either. Checked all my grounds they are in good shape.

With all that said....thoughts?

Oh and I already did this
Old 07-02-2014, 05:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Are you seeing 12.9v directly at the battery when the engine is running at idle? If so, this would indicate a problem, unless perhaps you have an extremely heavy accessory load running at that moment and you're idling in gear (A4).

Voltage at the battery should be WELL above 12.9v with the engine at idle and a minimal/average accessory load.

The dash gauge should be above 13v at idle under normal or light load. You may see it dip below 13 with a bunch of accessories running at idle. In my experience, the dash gauge always reads lower than voltage observed at the battery.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Well I had my stereo cranked, lights on, ac blasting and I had just finished driving all over hell and gone so everything was good and hot. I don't know I am open to suggestions.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to understand as the wiring heats up due to use it will increase in resistance.

Lets use some basics

R = E/I

R - Resistance of 1.2 ohms for the wiring
E is the voltage of 12V
I is the current of say 10A in this case

1.2 = 12/10

If your resistance goes up say to 1.5 ohms (Heat soak) your current will go down to 8A to keep the same voltage. or in your case the voltage is pulled a little because you still are trying to use that 10Amps at a higher resistance.

1.5 = 12/8

This kind of stuff is used more for car stereo and cable size to run with big amps but also applies to cars with older wiring.

Please correct me if I missed something.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by NightwalkerLS1
Well I had my stereo cranked, lights on, ac blasting
All of this will cause a normal voltage drop in the system. In particular, your A/C and headlights suck a lot of power. (Maybe your stereo, too if its aftermarket.) If you are going to measure your charging system, you'll want to turn all that stuff off before taking your measurement.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

So yeah ummmm..... always remember to tighten your battery cables up properly after doing any major engine work. Issue resolved. Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: In dash volt gauge junk?