Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust.....merges, X's H's & chambers

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Exhaust.....merges, X's H's & chambers

I'm finally in the LS game after YEARS of yearning.

X-pipes seem to be all the rage now. But I remember back in the day it was h-pipes first, and around the same time the x-pipes came on the scene, a couple of my buddies were running "pro-chambers" (I believe by MAC) on their 2000+ mustangs. From what I remember they sounded pretty damn good....But I'm wondering why I don't see any general universal products that are similar in design? Never see anything similar for LS cars/trucks...what gives? Don't even see them for the newer Stang's either....!?!?

Hoping someone can shed some light on the pro-chamber or similar stuff. I was thinking it might add the sound I'm looking for on my LS2 CTS-V. Looking for a more pronounced exhaust note from my magnaflow exhaust (stock resonator). Stock cam/manifolds.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Not familiar with how Mac Pro Chambers were different than any other design. Where they a full case muffler.

X-pipe is superior to an H-pipe. They really got noticed when Sterling Marlin dominated Daytona in 1994. If memory serves he was the only car in the field running one, and he absolutely killed the field.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hefftone
I'm finally in the LS game after YEARS of yearning.

X-pipes seem to be all the rage now. But I remember back in the day it was h-pipes first, and around the same time the x-pipes came on the scene, a couple of my buddies were running "pro-chambers" (I believe by MAC) on their 2000+ mustangs. From what I remember they sounded pretty damn good....But I'm wondering why I don't see any general universal products that are similar in design? Never see anything similar for LS cars/trucks...what gives? Don't even see them for the newer Stang's either....!?!?

Hoping someone can shed some light on the pro-chamber or similar stuff. I was thinking it might add the sound I'm looking for on my LS2 CTS-V. Looking for a more pronounced exhaust note from my magnaflow exhaust (stock resonator). Stock cam/manifolds.
I have an X pipe on my 05 V and muffler delete and I love it. I also had a Mack off road h pipe on a 2003 Mach 1 I owned before this car. The X pipe has a way more aggressive sound. But comparing that 4.6 to the engine in your car is apples to oranges. I bought my X pipe on ebay for 26 bucks. Had them cut out the mid resonator and I love it.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-07-2014, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

H-pipe keeps the majority of left bank/right bank exhaust gasses to their respective sides, allowing excess pressure to bleed across the H section. Low pressure on one side scavenges some high pressure from the other side. H-pipes have a smoother deeper tone.

X-pipes split all exhaust pulses at the X section, equalizing pressure on both sides and scavenging better than an h-pipe. This results in more power, especially at the high end. However, X-pipes have a raspy higher pitched tone, and the x-section causes harmonic resonance at certain RPM commonly perceived as "drone"

The Mac Prochamber is sort of a hybrid design. Exhaust pulses combine in the Prochamber and exit equalized. But it maintains a smoother deeper sound like an H-pipe and avoids the X-pipe rasp and resonance drone. I believe flow and power is somewhere between the two.

Last edited by Wheelman916; 07-07-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust.....merges, X's H's & chambers