General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC compressor hose assembly - 99 SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC compressor hose assembly - 99 SS

I hope this is the right spot to put this post. I was trolling online trying to find out an answer to my question and wasn't really successful. A little back story on my car. I bought it in August of last year and have only put about 3000 miles on it. The previous owner has all the AC components replaced on it. It was blowing cold then one day it just stopped. Well that was last October. I charged it up yesterday and was leaking Freon from under the car. I got under there this morning and found that the line that run from the back of the compressor to the the condenser had a small pin size hole in it from resting on top of the sway bar. I know I can replace the line for about $70, but I need to know the best way about changing out the line.

How do I get to the bolt on the back of the compressor, do I need to take the compressor off? Is it a job that can be easily completed? These are just the questions running through my head right now.

Has anybody done this themselves and how hard was it? What are the steps? Thanks.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am pretty sure because of clearance issues you need to unbolt the compressor then move it forward toward the radiator. unbolting the compressor and moving forward is easy, i had to do that when doing motor mounts. you have to do it from underneath, don't expect to reach it from above.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the response...that was what I was wondering...I see how easy that is, but i didn't know if it was required. I need to at least get the old line in 5 hrs. I was hoping to have a game plan before I started it, but it doesn't seem like many people have experience.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update: After thinking about, I believe I am responsible for the AC line rubbing on the sway bar. When I bought the car it had the dreadful squeak that wouldn't go away. I replaced a bunch of pulleys and when I did I think I may have bent the line.

Anyhow, for anybody needing to do this, it isn't too bad. I bought an AC Delco hose assembly from Amazon for $55 with 2 day shipping. It took me about 3 hours by myself to have the old one out, new one in, system vacuumed, and charged. Now I have AC...Woo Hoo.

You do have to drop the compressor to get the line off the back of it and taken out of the car. The line has to be pulled from the bottom and installed from the bottom, which can be tricky. Once the new one is in, just put the compressor back up and attach the line to the back of it, and put it back together. It wasn't too bad, except there is one bolt on the top of the compressor which is directly under a water pump hose. It is hard to get out, but not so bad putting back in.

Quick Reply: AC compressor hose assembly - 99 SS