Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80e Rear Cooler Fitting

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4L80e Rear Cooler Fitting

I need some help with one of the remaining issues preventing me from starting my Toyota with an LS swap. I have a 4L80e, which appears to be from an 06' K-Series truck with a 6.0L, pretty basic really. However, I ordered the correct Post-97' fittings so the rear has the tube that extends into the case...

Here is how it should fit.

Here is rear cooler fitting, kind of hard to tell, but I don't have a provision into the center support, so the fitting won't even screw in because the tube is too long to allow the threads to start.

Obviously I'm uncomfortable with just chopping the fitting down and just installing it, I have heard of people's 80e's failing without the correct fitting, however I'm really reluctant to have to pull the 80e out to correct the PO's mistake. I see 2 options, I either get a shorter fitting so it screws in, just doesn't protrude into the center support, or I remove the 80e and try to figure out why the center support has spun or not properly indexed.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

So I spent most of the day searching, and think I found out that the previous owner must've been in the 80e tinkering as my center support is not clocked to the 90* it should be. At this point, it's safe to say the 80e is coming back out for a little tear down, not what I was hoping for.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the fiting has to go into the center support or you will have no lube to the rear planet so you cant chop the fitting the wrong center support may be installed in the trans if it doesn't have the hole its the wrong one
Old 07-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Default Problem solved.

Hey, thanks for the reply, as you confirmed, the rear wouldn't last long if the fitting isn't connected properly. I was forced to pull the drivetrain, and am in the process of rebuilding. Found out that the center support wasn't installed correctly, and was clocked wrong, making the rear fitting impossible to fit, as well as one of the hollow bolts that feeds one of the clutch sets was missing. So not only was the center support not properly held in place, but the fluid flow was all sorts of fawked.

Center support re-clocked.

Hollow center support bolt missing...

Success.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the center support was clocked wrong how the hell was the center support bolt in the trans or was it in if it was clocked wrong you wouldn't have 2nd third or reverse lol..............never mind just seen it wasn't in wow you would have had a burnt up trans in no time

Quick Reply: 4L80e Rear Cooler Fitting