Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unable To Separate 3-Piece Oil Pump Body On A 4T65E

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable To Separate 3-Piece Oil Pump Body On A 4T65E

Sorry for the noob nature of this question ... this is my first (and probably only) rebuild on a 4T65E. On this 3-piece oil pump that's inside this transmission, is there anything additional one needs to do to be able to separate the three plates that form the pump body? The pump has been removed from the transmission, but for the life of me I don't see why this thing won't come apart, aside from a small dowel pin running through it. Is this thing just frozen together, or am I missing something fundamental here? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Default Any ideas appreciated

ok, somebody out there has had to work on one of these things. I'm really in need of a suggestion here.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:04 AM

Received 388 Likes on 297 Posts

I know nuthin' about a 4T65E and I therefore called a local trans builder for you. He said you have to drive that dowel pin out as it indeed holds the pump together. He said it can be very tight, but you have to get it out.
Good luck.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up Huge Thanks!

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I know nuthin' about a 4T65E and I therefore called a local trans builder for you. He said you have to drive that dowel pin out as it indeed holds the pump together. He said it can be very tight, but you have to get it out.
Good luck.
mrvedit, if you lived in my neck of the woods, I'd be glad to buy you a cold beverage of your choice. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:59 PM

Received 388 Likes on 297 Posts

Your welcome.
BTW the info came from Haas Transmission in Dexter, Michigan; a family owned shop for 30+ years with a stellar reputation and friendly service. Its a shame that most people's local trans shops are not nearly as good.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Default Update

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Your welcome.
BTW the info came from Haas Transmission in Dexter, Michigan; a family owned shop for 30+ years with a stellar reputation and friendly service. Its a shame that most people's local trans shops are not nearly as good.
mrvedit - Thanks. Yeah, really a true statement there ... i couldn't even get most shops in my area to even answer the phone, hence my post here in this forum. So, just to share with you my outcome (since you went to the trouble to gather the info for me) I pressed the pin out with my shop press and presto, the thing came right apart. I serviced it, and reassembled it with ease by pressing the pin back in place. I thought this would end up being the right way to go about it, but was afraid to put the pump in that press without some kind of confirmation of the process.

Again, many thanks! Maybe i can pay it forward to someone else sometime.

Quick Reply: Unable To Separate 3-Piece Oil Pump Body On A 4T65E