General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Security light

Old 07-07-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Security light

How can one get that pesty security light to go off?
Old 07-07-2014, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

vats bypass
Old 07-07-2014, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

wire in the correct resistance of your key into the wiring under the steering column and it will be good
Old 07-08-2014, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by andrew69_04
wire in the correct resistance of your key into the wiring under the steering column and it will be good
Right! I understand that part if you can find the wires that send the signal to the ECM! My key has no continuity through the pill! I don't get it! The car starts and runs fine!
Old 07-11-2014, 06:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Remove the panel just below the steering column, there should be a connecter with two white wires coming from the steering column. You can go to a radio Shack if you have any near by and get them to measure the resistance of the pellet in the key and help you select the proper set of reisters.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I say leave it alone if it still starts and runs fine. Mine does that now, but you are running the chance that it is easy to steal now that the Vats is not working properly. If the light is on continuously and theres no ill effects noticeable than there is a larger problem with the Vats, needs new Vats module. The resistor will do absolutely nothing except cut up a bunch of wires for no reason and it may not even get rid of the light because it doesnt go off when you have the correct key in the ignition. If you really need it fixed you need to find out if the problem is in the Vats module or the ignition cylinder for it to work correctly and for the security light to go off.
I've done the Vats resistor bypass on my last fbody, but that was only because my car was NOT starting and the issue was with the ignition switch not sending the signal to the module.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Default security light on

I have a 2002 Trans am that I just bought and the security light in on. the car starts and runs, the key is a replacement that does not have the ohm chip in it(I think it was a rekey). how do a get the correct factory key with the correct ohms. I am hoping this will make the light go off. Any word of wisdom
Old 07-12-2014, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with these cars is the wires for the vatts break on the ignition switch. You can put the key in the ignition and unhook the vatts connector and measure the resistance of the key at the connector. I went thru a big ordeal with my t/a. I replaced the ignition switch and then the car would not start.I had to have the bcm re-flashed for a new key resistance.Do a search, there are pages of info on this subject.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:40 PM

VATS Stole my Camaro

The car cranks but wont start. Security light stays solid...any Ideas?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarSick27
VATS Stole my Camaro

The car cranks but wont start. Security light stays solid...any Ideas?
you can disable vats with tuning software. but if the ignition cylinder or the key/pellet are damaged, the car may still not start. VATS is only part of the "security" system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Security light