Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Newb Autox'er from the dark side

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb Autox'er from the dark side

So here's the part where all chevy die hards can high five each other and insert ford meme here.... I put both of my mustangs (02 V8 Autocross car and 03 V6 automatic) up for sale to buy this car to compete in National SCCA Solo Competition.

I've always known how good LSx motor's are and even would tell my chevy friends in defeat on how terrible a N/A 4.6 2V was (260whp , 305wtq) with all bolt ons. Now I was proud to make it run 13.0 @ 105mph in the 1/4 with such terrible numbers, I still was always lacking in the tq and just power delivery, especially for my autocross class and since I didn't want to deal with WRX reliability issue or couldn't afford a Cobra R or Boss 302 I guess the best power option would be the LS1 camaro of course.

So after racing against a Boss 302 and a Z28 (current) car and getting spanked pretty nicely, I went and looked over the cars. It just so happened the camaro had a For Sale sign at the event we were racing. The not so good part was that he broke the watts link at the event. Anywho a few weeks later I got a test drive at another race event and was hooked.

I've owned the car 2 weeks from this last Saturday and already took it too a SCCA Nationals Match Tour in Peru, IN. I ended up in 2nd place being beat by a boss 302

here's the solomatter's including some details on it
http://www.solomatters.com/the_peru_...een_there-2014

So here's the car, based upon a previous owners for sale ad.

1999 Camaro Z28 ESP SCCA Solo
Red with black hardtop, grey cloth seats
LS1 / T56 49,xxx miles

Engine modifications
Original long block assembly, never opened, never removed from car
LS6 intake manifold (LS1 intake is included)
Ported LS1 throttle body
Improved Racing bolt-in oil pan baffle plate
Anodized oil pump with revised relief spring for higher pressure
AC in-tact (it’s great in grid!)
EGR/AIR delete (have original parts)
Fluidamper crank damper SFI
Fidanza Aluminum flywheel (#198571)
Stainless Works long tube headers (ceramic coated) – 1 ¾” primaries, 2 ½” Y-pipe
SLP Loudmouth II cold-end exhaust with SLP “PowerFlo” dual tip muffler conversion
Spare ECU was VIN matched and used for tuning. Original ECU included and is unmodified.
LS2 MAF (curve measured with actual induction on industry leading flow bench)
SLP Air Filter Lid
Prothane polyurethane motor mounts
Sale would include all HP Tuners calibration files

Transmission modifications
Center force clutch
Skip-shift eliminator
B&M shifter
SLP Hurst leather shift ****
Prothane polyurethane transmission mounts
2001 spec GM hydraulic slave cylinder/throw out bushing
2001 spec GM clutch master cylinder
Remote clutch bleeder, stainless braided, accessible near brake master cylinder

Rear Axle
Original 3.42:1 ring and pinion in the original housing
Torsen T2R differential. Vintage is BEFORE Torsen was bought and materials were supposedly changed which supposedly increased failure rates. Early T2R’s are very hard to find. This diff is AWESOME!
I did want to try an Eaton clutch style diff in 2009 – and it broke in a single event (Peru Tour).
The full housing was disassembled, flushed, cleaned, all new bearings installed, and the T2R was reinstalled. It’s been flawless ever since.

Front Suspension:
Custom valved front Bilstein SA shocks (curves and build sheets included)
Mounted with the production upper rubber mount and a custom machined lower T-bar to bolt to the control arm
1300 lb/in Hypercoil springs mounted on coil-over perches
Hotchkis front sway bar (36.5 mm, hollow)
Global West tubular front control arms (slightly more negative camber)
Reinforced front sway bar mounting brackets
Fresh Timken hubs with ARP wheel studs

Rear Suspension:
Koni 4th gen singe adjustable rear shocks (interior ****) – revalved at the Koni truck at Nationals for less compression (similar to 3rd gen Camaro Konis). Dyno curves included
Weight jackers under rear springs, 300 lb/in currently installed
Fays 2 Watts Link – black
UMI torque arm
Hellwig 3 position adjustable rear sway bar
1LE rear trailing arm bushings (solid rubber vs Z28 bushings with void area)

Chassis:
UMI red subframe connectors
Wired for a tire trailer
Trailer hitch not currently installed, but available. Bolts are in the rear frame rails.
Front fender liners cut for tire clearance and body pinch weld folded up for clearance, fenders are unmodified
Rear fenders rolled with Eastwood tool for 315 clearance
Power switch wired into the ash tray to power a DL1 (data acquisition) connector. DL1 NOT included.
Slider bracket for Sparco seat included. I had an Evo 2, but installed it in another car, so not included in sale. Seats are a personal preference and I figured people would like a newer date coded seat anyway, mine is a 2007.

Brake system upgrades
C6 Corvette front calipers (increased casting stiffness), uses LS1 Camaro pads
Stainless braided flexible line kit
Wilwood proportioning valve and line kit from SJM Manufacturing
HPS front pads, Napa Gold rear pads

Wheels
Two sets of 18x10.5 C5 replica wheels from OE Concepts (as pictured)
I used a ½”spacer on the rear, and a 10 mm spacer on the front. Spacers included.
10 - 315/30R18 Hoosier A6’s.
Street wheels are 17x9 Camaro SS 10spoke wheels with 1 yr old 275 width Sumitomo tires, tons of tread left

Spares
Various Rear springs
Strano front sway bar
Production springs, shocks, bars, torque arm, panhard bar
Full production exhaust components, manifolds to tips
SLP Y-pipe to use factory manifolds and connect to currently installed rear exhaust
Old 07-09-2014, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome, and bad *** car!
Those are some really high spring rates, normally for auto-x most guys front rates from 500-600lbs/in, and rear rates 150-170lbs/in.
How do you like the way the car handles with those rates? Does it push/oversteer more at the limits, or is it neutral?
Old 07-09-2014, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

The rear spring rates and bar stiffness rates are typically higher when the rear roll center (the height of the panhad bar or it's replacement) is lowered. With a lowered panhard bar solution, usually it's 200-300lb rear spring rates, and 22-24mm solid rear bar or equivalent rates. It's unusual to see front spring rates so high, but there are some designers on the West coast which tend to use front spring rates above 900lb's. I would suggest registering on frrax.com for a dedicated forum on autox and road racing.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Now I must start off by saying I bought the car the way it is and the one who set it up this way has done alot of data with the car and is a very intelligent individual. I'm actually getting in contact with him to pick his brain a little in the future.

As for now it still has the 1300 front springs /w his custom valved Bilsteins and the rear's are 175, but I plan on going to 200lbs in the rear soon to test.

Also the car seems to be pretty neutral, maybe a little low speed tight corner understeer under throttle 0:51 mark(in 2nd, not 1st), and the only time it's over steered at all is on the end of a sweeper which went from off camber to camber gain while rolling into full throttle 0:21 mark, but nothing harry.

Later in the day when I added more nitrogen in the front shocks I was constantly pulling the left front tire up going into the wallom's
Old 07-19-2014, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

+1 for frrax. Yeah the spring rates are a bit odd but it's a really great car for sure. You might also chat with Sam Strano as he has several nation F body titles. I've spent a lot of hours autocrossing camaros and miss the big girls once in a while. You're going to have a blast with it for sure. Welcome to the addiction!!
Old 07-20-2014, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great to see another Michigan Auto crosser, sounds like a lot of thought/time went into that setup. I hope it works out for you.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Red89GTA
Great to see another Michigan Auto crosser, sounds like a lot of thought/time went into that setup. I hope it works out for you.
Well it seems good so far!!! SCCA Wilmington National tour I got 2nd place against all mustangs. Lost to a very very good driver in a highly modded Boss 302 Laguna Seca that I found out to be 100lbs lighter, on 335 vs my 315's, and 85whp more!!! Anyways I was happy to beat the other Boss 302, Cobra R, GT500, and Mustang GT
Old 09-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Latest Newb update... Raced at SCCA Nationals... Fastest F body in ESP in the Nation!!! 5th place trophy .420 out of 1st, 53rd on index out of 1174 drivers. Fastest ESP time on east course!
Old 09-11-2014, 07:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome! Very nice car.

Quick Reply: Newb Autox'er from the dark side