Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSI Racing Rebuilt 4L60E's Overrun Sprague Assembly Broke, what's better?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question TSI Racing Rebuilt 4L60E's Overrun Sprague Assembly Broke, what's better?

UPDATE: It was not the sunshell that broke, which was the pre-teardown assumption, it' is the Input/overrun sprague assembly that busted.
-----
So I have gone through three stock automatic transmissions under extended warranty, and when that ran out and trans failed I had a built blueprinted 4L60E by TSI Racing which builds transmissions for 8 sec. cars: http://tsiracing.com The car does have a Yank 3200 stall torque converter and basic tune from Speed Inc., so firmer shifts is a part of that package.

Less than a year later after one visit to the strip and one weekend at Road America and plenty of spirited street driving, my "Beast" Sunshell broke and I lost drive and overdrive and only have gears 1 & 2, is there any better sunshell, or what would be recommended to avoid this failure point?

TIA

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 07-15-2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Teardown revealed different failure.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:20 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Many premium builds now use the Sonnax Smart Shell instead of The Beast, but I don't think the Smart Shell is stronger, just more precisely built and it has the advantage of putting no load on the rear planet's inner bearing.
IMHO there has been too much price pressure on The Beast and as a result they are cheaply built, often out of balance, and in your case perhaps with a flaw.

Perhaps the pro builders here will confirm or correct my opinion.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

All the big hp builds use the sonnax shell and sleeve now.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Found it, thanks guys, love the forum, always helpful

http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2454
Old 07-10-2014, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no had one beast failure in 8 years with 60s behind 850 hp corvettes and numerous fullsize trucks pushing 500 to 600 hp. I still use the beast to this day I havnt bought into the smartshell myself just yet...yes it is sleeved which prevents the separation of the splines from the drum but what about the turning of the sun gear in the splines which I have seen numerous times on the stock shell.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody believe this craigslist ad? Billet sun shell

3RD/ 4TH AGAIN ??? No excuse trans. . Billet.H.D. 700R4 4L60E 4L65E - $800UP .. It you are not being asked about tire size, gear ratio, intended use or horsepower level when getting a quote they are selling you a 1 trans does all unit!!! Is this for your car,truck,hot rod!!! With over 20 years exp. Master trained NHRA,NTPA competitor and ASE certified transmission transaxle special Extreme heavy duty rebuild with carbon Kevlar composite clutches and band. Special wide band and new drum. 500 boost valve non stick Teflon coated tv valve,new steel pack,new EPC special billet servo and unbreakable billet sun shell
Old 07-12-2014, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Don at TSI says the Sonnex Smartshell is made in China/Taiwan, but so are iPhones, and the quality is great, so it all depends on how closely a manufacturer monitors quality!

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 07-12-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

When I personally as Greg at SONNAX when he was at our shop when we were doing the GM HITECH BLACK EDITION 4L60E build he stated the SONNAX shell was made in USA . I do know the beast is indeed made in china it says so right on the box. We have incorporated the Sonnax shell into out Black Edition and Our Level 3 and will be adding it to the level 2 build soon.

Oh and little note . While yes the IPHONE is assembled in CHINA most of the parts are actually made in GERMANY which is also where most of the production money for it goes GERMANY .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-12-2014, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldtimelt1
Anybody believe this craigslist ad? Billet sun shell

3RD/ 4TH AGAIN ??? No excuse trans. . Billet.H.D. 700R4 4L60E 4L65E - $800UP .. It you are not being asked about tire size, gear ratio, intended use or horsepower level when getting a quote they are selling you a 1 trans does all unit!!! Is this for your car,truck,hot rod!!! With over 20 years exp. Master trained NHRA,NTPA competitor and ASE certified transmission transaxle special Extreme heavy duty rebuild with carbon Kevlar composite clutches and band. Special wide band and new drum. 500 boost valve non stick Teflon coated tv valve,new steel pack,new EPC special billet servo and unbreakable billet sun shell
Yes.

$800 for a basic rebuilt that you remove and install without torque converter sounds right inline with most shops. I'm sure if you spec one out it'll be comparable to main stream prices.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
So I have gone through three stock automatic transmissions under extended warranty, and when that ran out and trans failed I had a built blueprinted 4L60E by TSI Racing which builds transmissions for 8 sec. cars: http://tsiracing.com The car does have a Yank 3200 stall torque converter and basic tune from Speed Inc., so firmer shifts is a part of that package.

Less than a year later after one visit to the strip and one weekend at Road America and plenty of spirited street driving, my "Beast" Sunshell broke and I lost drive and overdrive and only have gears 1 & 2, is there any better sunshell, or what would be recommended to avoid this failure point?

TIA

700R4 4L60E Heavy Duty Beast Sunshell, Monster Transmission Parts - YouTube
Not sure on the Sunshell, but maybe a 4L80e is in your future? Or a T56.....
Old 07-12-2014, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Predator T/A
I have no had one beast failure in 8 years with 60s behind 850 hp corvettes and numerous fullsize trucks pushing 500 to 600 hp. I still use the beast to this day I havnt bought into the smartshell myself just yet...yes it is sleeved which prevents the separation of the splines from the drum but what about the turning of the sun gear in the splines which I have seen numerous times on the stock shell.
The Sonnax Smart shell has a reinforcement ring around the splines to strengthen that area. This can be seen in the first picture of the tread where I carefully compare the various sun shells:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...art-shell.html
Old 07-12-2014, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Oh and little note . While yes the IPHONE is assembled in CHINA most of the parts are actually made in GERMANY which is also where most of the production money for it goes GERMANY .
I don't know how much is many in Germany, but the CPU and much of the circuitry is made by Samsung in various locations including Korea and Texas. Obviously Apple is not happy having their key product made by a competitor and the next generation CPU/circuitry will be made by an independent company TMSC in Taiwan.

http://gizmodo.com/5946240/the-iphon...ade-by-samsung

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...en-iphone-ipad
Old 07-13-2014, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

This thread keeps getting better thanks esp. Me edit.

TSI is suggesting switching to the upgraded 6 gear planetary front & rear, mine is 4, the newer 4L75E has them. He says it can help keep the spline centered to keep it from wobbling inside the sunshell - whatya think? $400-500 upgrade kit cost, from 4L75E, which is reportedly essentially a slightly upgraded 4L60E... As I recall he said C6 Vettes have them.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 07-13-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:57 AM

TSI is suggesting switching to the upgraded 6 gear planetary front & rear, mine is 4, the newer 4L75E has them. He says it can help keep the spline centered to keep it from wobbling inside the sunshell - whatya think? $400-500 upgrade kit cost, from 4L75E, which is reportedly essentially a slightly upgraded 4L60E... As I recall he said C6 Vettes have them.
First, I think you mean 5-pinion, not 6 pinion (see below). A 4L75E is basically a 4L65E with ISS (Input Speed Sensor).

I noticed your post on my previously linked thread on sun shells where you ask about the newer style reaction carrier shaft. The new reaction carrier shaft is absolutely needed for the 5-pinion planets that GM is now selling. I documented this in details starting around post #12 in this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...n-planets.html

So, yes the new reaction carrier shaft with its torrington bearings top and bottom, would seem to center the sun shell and other internals better. I think the Sonnax Smart Shell is a nice addition to all that too, more so than The Beast.

Note that Performabuilt just announced their "4L65E Black Edition" rated at 1000HP. Among other premium and billet parts it uses Sonnax Smart Shell.

A key part of their 1000HP 4L65E is the Sonnax Smart Tech input drum. Combined with a billet input shaft it costs about $750, but I have spoken to various performance builders that are successfully using it in 750+HP trucks. It may not solve the 3/4 clutch problems once and for all, but solves the problems with broken snap rings and coning, and has room for one more friction. It includes the Sonnax reinforcement ring for the area around the input shaft.

BTW - There is a 6-pinion planet (I have it); it is an expensive custom billet part that gives provides closer gear ratios. 1st gear is 2.84 instead of 3.06; 2nd is 1.57 instead of 1.63.

Last edited by mrvedit; 07-13-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

mrvedit, How do you like the difference in the new ratio's with the custom 6 pinion planetary?
Old 07-13-2014, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
mrvedit, How do you like the difference in the new ratio's with the custom 6 pinion planetary?
I make too many changes (at once) to give you track comparison numbers. After my MT Drag radials wore out two years ago I tried Nitto NT555R-17 (26" tall) and always had traction problems, therefore the lower 2.84 was an advantage. Last month I tried brand new MT Drags (28" tall) and since they hooked perfectly, the higher 3.06 might have been better. (I have a 3.42 rear and 3600 stall).
Like everything at the track, the best trans ratios depend upon manner factors - rear ratio, engine power, torque curve, stall speed, tire size, tire type, overall traction, etc.

I bought the 6-pinion planet, like everything else I discuss here, to experiment and share my experiences.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I make too many changes (at once) to give you track comparison numbers. After my MT Drag radials wore out two years ago I tried Nitto NT555R-17 (26" tall) and always had traction problems, therefore the lower 2.84 was an advantage. Last month I tried brand new MT Drags (28" tall) and since they hooked perfectly, the higher 3.06 might have been better. (I have a 3.42 rear and 3600 stall).
Like everything at the track, the best trans ratios depend upon manner factors - rear ratio, engine power, torque curve, stall speed, tire size, tire type, overall traction, etc.

I bought the 6-pinion planet, like everything else I discuss here, to experiment and share my experiences.
I am not overly concerned with track numbers, more about how they drive over all.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I am not overly concerned with track numbers, more about how they drive over all.
You would need a pretty well calibrated butt to feel a 10% difference in gear ratios. I certainly don't. I do think the $1200 can be spent better elsewhere.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Update: oops, I did mean the five gear planetary from GM...

So who makes this custom billet part you refer to?

Originally Posted by mrvedit
First, I think you mean 5-pinion, not 6 pinion (see below). A 4L75E is basically a 4L65E with ISS (Input Speed Sensor).

I noticed your post on my previously linked thread on sun shells where you ask about the newer style reaction carrier shaft. The new reaction carrier shaft is absolutely needed for the 5-pinion planets that GM is now selling. I documented this in details starting around post #12 in this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...n-planets.html

So, yes the new reaction carrier shaft with its torrington bearings top and bottom, would seem to center the sun shell and other internals better. I think the Sonnax Smart Shell is a nice addition to all that too, more so than The Beast.

Note that Performabuilt just announced their "4L65E Black Edition" rated at 1000HP. Among other premium and billet parts it uses Sonnax Smart Shell.

A key part of their 1000HP 4L65E is the Sonnax Smart Tech input drum. Combined with a billet input shaft it costs about $750, but I have spoken to various performance builders that are successfully using it in 750+HP trucks. It may not solve the 3/4 clutch problems once and for all, but solves the problems with broken snap rings and coning, and has room for one more friction. It includes the Sonnax reinforcement ring for the area around the input shaft.

BTW - There is a 6-pinion planet (I have it); it is an expensive custom billet part that gives provides closer gear ratios. 1st gear is 2.84 instead of 3.06; 2nd is 1.57 instead of 1.63.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 07-15-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:57 AM

I did mean six gear planetary from GM...

So who makes this custom billet part you refer to?
Sorry if I have my doubts, but I have neither seen nor heard of an OEM 6-pinion planetary.
I don't know who makes the billet close-ratio 6-pinion planetary, but PATC and FLT sell it. I bought mine from a member here.

Last edited by mrvedit; 07-15-2014 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: TSI Racing Rebuilt 4L60E's Overrun Sprague Assembly Broke, what's better?