Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NTK O2 sensors junk after 1.5 months...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default NTK O2 sensors junk after 1.5 months...

So I got replacement NTK 02 sensors to use on my car after fixing an valve stem guide leak. (Swap in LS3 heads, problem fixed). Tweaked tune to accommodate new head flow, seemed fine.

I waited 2 weeks before swapping in the replacement sensors did around 1k miles to clean up the exhaust. I did some logging, tweaked again for a nice clean tune and have been enjoying power + gas mileage and nice smoothness.

2 heavy downpours later. Both O2 sensors reported codes during the storm. Let them dry up the next day, cleared codes, none returned. (Got low voltage/no signal codes). The passenger side has been fine since, still logs as strong with blips from 40 to 950 making for a nice sensor. The drivers side... got lazy. it didn't range as far as earlier logs now from 0 to 800 and during wot runs went near 0 or at 0 for extended time unlike the passenger side which behaved like before. I checked both connections, always routed away from my headers (ceramic coated), all heat shields in place. Same deal. Drivers side goes dead at wot. Compared a before rain/after rain tune. Noted difference in sensor data. I swapped in my "oil coated" ac delco sensor... bang fixed. That sensor was in for 3.5 years. Tornado spawning downpour weather, normal downpours, snowstorms, whiteouts etc. A few logs showed it to match and sometimes exceed the range reported by the other NTK sensor.

Logging was starting to show I was running "leaner" with the laze sensor, in some areas adding 1% fuel. With the delco back in, its back on its -2-3% range across the board.

So I'm going to examine the "sensor" and see what I can find fault with it, I'm looking at possible the sensor unit itself now since a 12.6 rich exhaust stream was screaming dead lean on that sensor...

Short of it: Recent batch NTK sensors may be of poor quality, buyer beware. I will monitor for codes for the passenger side one now.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:38 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm a Denso fan myself. As it seems you log and do your own tuning, just for my own personal curiosity, have you used them? How do you like them against, say, a Bosch? Do they react any different between the manufacturers?
Old 07-11-2014, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The Denso's are what I'm ordering. Going back to Closed Loop SD tune, so I'm going to need 2 new ones. Never heard of the NTK ones.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used Denso, AC Delco and NTK's on the car. When the NTK's were new and not damaged from the rain soaking, they were working quite well.

I had Denso set on for about 2 years till I wiped a cam on a bad lifter. 1 went slow.

The previous set I used was a mix of 1 denso and 1 ac delco. I replaced the 2 with NTK. It looks like the ac delco is probably the best of the 3 sensors in range/sensitivity/longevity since it's back in the car. With the mix of delco/NTK, the NTK one that's left after 2 rainsoaks is not as sensitive as the delco. Logging is already showing during transitions that the delco is logging changes in o2 levels where the ntk is showing only a partial change. Since both sides stft are showing similar numbers and injectors firing the same, I can only assume that the 2nd ntk will eventually fail. Rain is in the forecast next week. I will have another delco on standby to install.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:05 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Good info; I appreciate it

Quick Reply: NTK O2 sensors junk after 1.5 months...