General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

**Key Fob & Ignition Key**

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Key Fob & Ignition Key**

Hi everyone I have a dying key fob/broken case, so I'm really wanting to purchase a new set.

While I'm at it, I only have 1 set of ignition key, and I'm not sure how to go about getting a new one.

1. Can I get a new ignition key from Ace? Or does it absolutely have to be through the dealer? Because I know anything through the dealer can be very expensive.

2. I'm thinking of purchasing this key fob from ebay and programming it myself, will this work fine?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-4-BUTTON-GM-KEYLESS-ENTRY-REMOTE-16245100-29-5-KEY-FOB-TRANSMITTER-/121384517072?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c4314bdd0&vxp=mtr
3. If I were to purchase that off of Ebay and program it myself, then does my original key fob stop working? Because the whole purpose of this is to have a spare lol I think I've just read somewhere on the site that you have to program them at the same time or something? Or else only the new one will work? Can someone confirm?

Thanks you ahead of time
Old 07-16-2014, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 133 Posts

The ignition switch has a chip on it, so you probably need to go to the dealership for a spare key. Have you tried just replacing the battery in the fob? Walmart has them for a few dollars.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you bypass the VATS security then you can get an ignition key copy made at a local hardware place.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get the fob from ebay, no problem. make sure the part number on the back of your fob matches the one you buy. There are a lot that look the same, you want the part number to match. On the newer 4th gen camaros i'm pretty sure the programming procedure is in the manual. shouldn't need to go to the dealer.

you can buy the security key from ebay too, or check the dealer pricing. Check the manual or google for how to program. It might be as simple as putting in the working one, turning on (but not starting car), then removing and putting in the new one.... Just make sure you get a legit GM key with the chip in it. your local locksmith shoudl be able to cut the key.
This auction talks about how to determine the correct VATS key. It may be less hassle to spend a few extra bucks and have the dealer order, cut, and program the key for you.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-GM-Single-Sided-VATS-Ignition-Chip-Key-2-595512-26019393-UNCUT-V-A-T-S-/400719164064?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2002%7CModel%3ACamaro&hash=item5d4cb932a0&vxp=mtr

Last edited by ninety6; 07-16-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ I ordered one similar to the one above off ebay. The seller had me check the resistance of the chip on my key then he matched that resistance with one he had. I lost the new key and didnt get the chance to have the key cut to see if it would work. Damn now I want to try and find that key...

Quick Reply: **Key Fob & Ignition Key**