General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

***Key Fob Help Please***

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***Key Fob Help Please***

Hi everyone I have a dying key fob/broken case, so I'm really wanting to purchase a new set.

While I'm at it, I only have 1 set of ignition key, and I'm not sure how to go about getting a new one.

1. Can I get a new ignition key from Ace? Or does it absolutely have to be through the dealer? Because I know anything through the dealer can be very expensive.

2. I'm thinking of purchasing this key fob from ebay and programming it myself, will this work fine?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-4-BUTTON-GM-KEYLESS-ENTRY-REMOTE-16245100-29-5-KEY-FOB-TRANSMITTER-/121384517072?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c4314bdd0&vxp=mtr
3. If I were to purchase that off of Ebay and program it myself, then does my original key fob stop working? Because the whole purpose of this is to have a spare lol I think I've just read somewhere on the site that you have to program them at the same time or something? Or else only the new one will work? Can someone confirm?

Thanks you ahead of time
Old 07-14-2014, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will need to reprogram both key fobs at the same time. Your owners manual will tell you how to do the procedure.

You will need to go to the dealer for a new key, or measure the resistance in the chip in your current key and purchase that key on eBay.

If you have done the vats bypass ace hardware can cut you a new key without a chip and that will start the car
Old 07-15-2014, 06:24 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

To confirm the fob, you want to make sure the FCC ID etched on the back matches. If so, the new fob will work.

Quick Reply: ***Key Fob Help Please***