Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to decide on a cam for my application.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide on a cam for my application.

I was pretty set on the Tr230 cam. Then i had a few people try to steer me away from that cam. I've tried to learn this and that the last couple weeks and I still cant decide on a specific cam. I hear people recomend the Trex cam, and then people recomend the G5X2, then the TSP Magic Stick and Its really got me confused... then some people argue over the fact that the cam someone just told me would be perfect for my application someone else says its WAY to big and i dont need it. All i want it a cam that has a nice powerband through out the rpm range, has some very nice lope to it, and produces at least some mid to high 11 second times with everything else i had planned to do. I wanna be fast, and i wanna be able to sit at a stop light and people drool over how mean it sounds at idle. Thats really all I'm looking for. Any suggestions on which one will be perfect for me? Here's all the other mods that are going along with the cam to help reach mid to high 11's. Hopefully anyways.

either the Patriot Stage II heads, or the LS6 ported style
Spec Stage 3 clutch
Moser 12-bolt with 4.10's
Hooker Coated LT's
True duals with Sweet thunder 18 inch chamberd dumps
SFC
and STB
Old 05-20-2004, 11:10 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on the car being a daily driver & your target ET, you might want to consider the 231.237 camshaft. Typically we sell more 231.237 camshafts than the Magic Stick... You might run a quick search for 231/237, alot of guys have had great results while still keeping good low end power

Jason
Texas Speed

Originally Posted by Ohmyneck
I was pretty set on the Tr230 cam. Then i had a few people try to steer me away from that cam. I've tried to learn this and that the last couple weeks and I still cant decide on a specific cam. I hear people recomend the Trex cam, and then people recomend the G5X2, then the TSP Magic Stick and Its really got me confused... then some people argue over the fact that the cam someone just told me would be perfect for my application someone else says its WAY to big and i dont need it. All i want it a cam that has a nice powerband through out the rpm range, has some very nice lope to it, and produces at least some mid to high 11 second times with everything else i had planned to do. I wanna be fast, and i wanna be able to sit at a stop light and people drool over how mean it sounds at idle. Thats really all I'm looking for. Any suggestions on which one will be perfect for me? Here's all the other mods that are going along with the cam to help reach mid to high 11's. Hopefully anyways.

either the Patriot Stage II heads, or the LS6 ported style
Spec Stage 3 clutch
Moser 12-bolt with 4.10's
Hooker Coated LT's
True duals with Sweet thunder 18 inch chamberd dumps
SFC
and STB
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 05-20-2004, 11:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive got the 231/237 cam..priced right, lobes arent harsh so you wont have to change springs every year & still gives a good power increase...there are many people over 400 to the wheels with this cam. Gives a good amount of lope but with a good tune is daily driveable even with my A4 & 2.73's though i wouldnt recommend that gearing
Old 05-20-2004, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Yep, I made 451rwhp and 403rwtq with the 231/237 cam and Patriot LS6 style heads with a TSP mail order tune. You can get one of their "package deals" that has everything you need for a damn good price.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
Based on the car being a daily driver & your target ET, you might want to consider the 231.237 camshaft. Typically we sell more 231.237 camshafts than the Magic Stick... You might run a quick search for 231/237, alot of guys have had great results while still keeping good low end power

Jason
Texas Speed
Jason I do live in Oklahoma and I kinda had planned on dealing with you guys at Texas Speed when i get the work done. Honestly would i be better off buying all my parts and bringing them to you guys, or should I just tell you guys every thing i want and my budget then work from there? I had planned on calling you guys but i cant up at work. I'll see if i cant get some free time and schedule a time to drop my car off and let you guys go to town on it, of course if you guys arent too lined up with cars.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you're looking for a cam that has a nasty lope but still daily drivable, I'd say the 231/237 would definitely fit the bill...you'll just need a good tune or you'll be fighting with the idle. Something a little more conservative might be the 228R cam.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

The 228R will give you all that you wanted on your list, it is still a TSP cam, and anything more than that is overkill for what you say you want out of the car......
Old 05-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Launching!

So do you guys all agree that the TSP 228R will be what I'm looking for? What kind of dyno numbers could i shoot for with that cam? I'm hoping for around 425+ at the wheels
Old 05-20-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

with heads, you will not have a problem getting those numbers.