Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Header Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default First Header Installation

I am preparing for my first header installation and would like to ask a couple of questions. Is it best to replace the current studs with new grade 8 bolts? I believe the forme owner reused the stock bolts when he had the shorties installed. I have not unpacked my ARH box yet, so I do not know it my new headers came with gaskets. If not, just replace the gaskets with oem from a local Chevy dealer??

Thanks guys...
Old 07-17-2014, 09:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cali_bear2003
I am preparing for my first header installation and would like to ask a couple of questions. Is it best to replace the current studs with new grade 8 bolts? I believe the forme owner reused the stock bolts when he had the shorties installed. I have not unpacked my ARH box yet, so I do not know it my new headers came with gaskets. If not, just replace the gaskets with oem from a local Chevy dealer??

Thanks guys...
So you have header studs now? I bought some and just ended up reusing the old ones; they're stainless and I'll sell them to you if you want new stainless studs. If you have bolts now, just reuse them or buy aftermarket stainless bolts. If you go to take off your heads in the car, you'll have issues trying to go around the studs and them hitting stuff in the bay.

Use OEM gaskets.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Studs or bolts, or a mixture of the two, whatever works best for ya. No real adantage to ether one, IMO. But if your stock parts are a decade old, reliability is questionable. Quality header bolts are cheap. I'd replace them.

If using SS, remember that there are different kinds of SS. Make sure it is an actual header bolt/stud from a reputable company like ARP. Otherwise, you can almost guarantee some galling problems in the future.

I havn't used a header gasket in many years. Strictly high temp, copper based silicone sealant. I make sure that some of the silicone is applied to the bolt threads. It acts like anti-seize and lock-tite, all in one. I never have a problem with bolts coming loose, or losing the seal.

Be carefull about using the stock exhaust manifold gaskets. Sometimes they fit the header ports, and sometimes they don't. Gaskets specifically made to fit your new headers are probably a better choice.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by .boB
Studs or bolts, or a mixture of the two, whatever works best for ya. No real adantage to ether one, IMO. But if your stock parts are a decade old, reliability is questionable. Quality header bolts are cheap. I'd replace them.

If using SS, remember that there are different kinds of SS. Make sure it is an actual header bolt/stud from a reputable company like ARP. Otherwise, you can almost guarantee some galling problems in the future.

I havn't used a header gasket in many years. Strictly high temp, copper based silicone sealant. I make sure that some of the silicone is applied to the bolt threads. It acts like anti-seize and lock-tite, all in one. I never have a problem with bolts coming loose, or losing the seal.

Be carefull about using the stock exhaust manifold gaskets. Sometimes they fit the header ports, and sometimes they don't. Gaskets specifically made to fit your new headers are probably a better choice.
There is no aftermarket header gasket or sealant that seals better than the OEM Gasket. Nobody uses the ones included with many popular header kits.

The advantage to studs is that you can hang the header on the stud while you tighten the outer nut; but it makes space tighter for head removal. Take that as you wish but this is fact.

Quick Reply: First Header Installation