Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

3m double sided tape not working on ground effects

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3m double sided tape not working on ground effects

So I have the wings west body kit on my Z, which came with the 3m double side tape to attach to the length of the car. Though the 3m tape is not cutting it, the side skirt keeps separating from the car. So what can I use instead of this 3m tape, is there any kind of bonding epoxy I can use instead of this 3m crap?
Old 07-17-2014, 05:02 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

3m type tape is what they used from the factory. Pretty stout stuff. You may have an issue with something on the paint not allowing the tape to adhere very well.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

3-m trim tape is stout stuff when done correctly .I generally wipe both surfaces with alcohol first. If the inside of fiberglass work has to uneven of a surface, sand first. then reclean.

Is tape coming off one surface or both?

Old tape WILL fail , maybe their stuff was old. If it comes loose once after being done correctly, resticking it won't likely do anything.

3m tape is not crap, but if you want to permenantly adhere it, 3-m 8115 automix panel bonding adhesive will work. Used it on my custom steel ground effects seen in my photobucket link. However you need even more prep work & a way to hold things in place till dry. Not cheap stuff either.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or if you keep pulling up and resticking will cause this obviously thats how tape works
Old 07-17-2014, 08:50 PM
Launching!

you need to clean with isopropyl alcohol also called rubbing alcohol sold at drug stores.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:08 AM
Launching!

It's pealing away from the car, not the ground effect itself. Both parts were wiped down with alcohol, and put in place the first time. I even went as for as running metal brackets from underneath them to the underside of the car. So I need to try something different.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

I had that issue with a lip kit I bought from Stillen for my 2009 Sentra, I don't know if the tape was old or what but it would not hold. So after painstakingly removing all the old tape, I got a roll of new tape (3M part# 06384) and a few packs of 3M adhesion promoter (3M part # 06396) wiped the attaching area down with isopropyl alcohol, followed the directions for the tape and promoter and it worked out great. (it evened survived when my wife had a accidental run in with the curb) And by the way the tape that came on the lip was gray, the new tape I bought from 3M was black. When I redid it I wiped down the inside of the lip where the tape went and before I installed the tape, used the adhesion promoter there in addition to where the lip was going to go on the car.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blue09rocket
I had that issue with a lip kit I bought from Stillen for my 2009 Sentra, I don't know if the tape was old or what but it would not hold. So after painstakingly removing all the old tape, I got a roll of new tape (3M part# 06384) and a few packs of 3M adhesion promoter (3M part # 06396) wiped the attaching area down with isopropyl alcohol, followed the directions for the tape and promoter and it worked out great. (it evened survived when my wife had a accidental run in with the curb) And by the way the tape that came on the lip was gray, the new tape I bought from 3M was black. When I redid it I wiped down the inside of the lip where the tape went and before I installed the tape, used the adhesion promoter there in addition to where the lip was going to go on the car.
Thanks man I'll look into those part numbers, i do know for a fact that the tape was new, i bought it and gave it to the body shop when they painting the entire car. The tape is gray in color. Its a simple fix but this will be the third time fixing it, I'd to fix it and be done with it. Also found out i need a new a new window motor for the passenger window. I searched here on tech and found a company that fixes that on going issue.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just because you just bought the tape, doesn,t mean it's not old .Sometimes products can sit up for a long time before they ship out & sit up on a shelf for a long time again. Urethane caulk tubes have an easy to read expiration date, not so with tape.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

I use 3M double sided tape nearly every day and have never had a problem. Clean, adhesion promoter, install. It takes a rubber wheel or tons of elbow grease to remove once installed so I would say it holds pretty well. Either the tape is bad or the body shop is doing a **** job installing it.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with everyone else. That 3M tape is some stout stuff. 3M is the leader in adhesives IMO, we use 3M almost exclusively in aviation. I've seen the tape fail, typically from poor prep.

If installed properly it is just like ARLS1 says, a pain to remove.

You said you had the car painted? Try wet scuffing the application area with 800 grit sand paper (this will buff out if it shows), then clean with IPA (Isopropyl alcohol), then apply. If you tape off the area of application before wet sanding, you won't have to buff anything out after application.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Try some 3M 94 primer. Got mine in a 8 oz can. On the bottom of can there are #3288CD probably just a lot/control number. Worked for me.

Quick Reply: 3m double sided tape not working on ground effects