Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Hit pothole, knocked out fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hit pothole, knocked out fuel pump

Took the car out for a drive the other night. Got a little ways down my street, hit a pot hole, and knocked out the fuel pump. Checked the inline fuse and sure enough it was blown. Popped a new fuse in it, and drove it around the block trying to get it back home and sure enough I hit a bump in the road and it knocked it out again. I looked at my gas gauge and it was reading empty, but just had 3/4 tank of gas in it so I'm guessing it knocked out my sending unit too? Checked both fuses (inline and fuse block) and there both good.

Car has been down since last year, because I'm doing a turbo build on it. The turbo stuff isn't on it yet since I'm working out the bugs with the engine and the new rear end. I haven't touched the fuel pump in it since fall of 2012. It has a racetronix 255 pump in it. Ya'll think I have a bad ground somewhere, or has anyone ever heard of this happening before?
Old 07-21-2014, 12:28 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea there is a bad connection somewhere. I had a friend with a fox body with this exact same problem. There was a certain bump on the freeway and every time he hit it......his fuse would blow on the fuel pump. Couldn't figure it out until it happened 3 or 4 times on his way home from school. Same lane and the exact same spot on the freeway. It was pretty weird and funny at the same time.

After a little searching we had found where the previous owner had just used a wire nut at one spot in the fuel pump wiring. Replaced it with a good crimped connection and it never did it again.

in other words.........check the wiring.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:31 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will do... I just thought it was strange that the pump has been in the car for almost 2yrs without a problem, then all of a sudden bam... dies twice in 10 minutes.

Quick Reply: Hit pothole, knocked out fuel pump