Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

help with rear end...lol

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with rear end...lol

Ok I just bought this 01 ws6 6 speed and while I was driving over rough part of road I heard what sounds like the spare tire is loose... the spare is tight and so ive pin pointed the sound to the passenger side rear end. Ive checked all bolts and they are tight.. if you rock the car from side to side you can hear what sounds like the axles. I removed the cover and wheel/brake caliper. The axle has normal play going in and out but if turn the axle by hand there is a huge amount of play between the gears and its the exact noise im hearing. It also has moser rear axles in it that don't look too old. It has abs/traction control and you can see the gear on the moser axle. Also after driving the abs brake and traction control lights come on. Any help would be greatly appreciated also..there is no whine and sounds normal except going over any bumps.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

The rotational play is normal for the type of posi unit your car has. When up in the air they are clunky and act goofy. But when driving they are smooth and generally work pretty well. If you are getting clunking over bumps I would look into suspension, particularly shocks. They can freeze up and become very harsh. Not uncommon at all.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

i wish it was just the shocks... would the shocks make the abs/tcs/brake ligh come on? Somebody told me that the spider gears were badly worn and causing the axle to be super loose...the other side isnt near as loose as the passenger side.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Oh, well yes if the axle is moving around a ton it can cause issues with the abs sensor since it reads at the flange end.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

ughh now im hearing from somebody that if the gears were bad it would be a constant noise...which this only makes noise going over slight bumps.. so im guessing I just need to find a new diff?
Old 07-26-2014, 08:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Try tightening all suspension parts attached to the rear, and see if the clunking goes away. Even if they appear to be tight, there may be play in there that you hear when going over bumps. Also, check the underbody to see if the torque arm or torque arm bracket are hitting the floor at any point. Often this will cause a clunking when going over bumps. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-14-2014, 06:30 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I chased that a year ago. Funny, because I thought it was the spare tire at first, too. My panhard bar had a bushing that had broken in it.

Quick Reply: help with rear end...lol