Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Clunk on deceleration/braking

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Clunk on deceleration/braking

Well I just got new tires, painted my calipers and rotor hats, and now I notice a clunk/bang/vibration when I decelerate that amplifies when I hit the brakes. The noise is hard to describe, and I can't even be sure where it is coming from.

I jacked up the car and when I spin the wheels there is a clunking noise. Here is a video of this, note this condition is not present on the other F-body in my garage.

Then I went under the car and noticed the same noise when turning the driveshaft, and some up and down play/noise where the U-joint enters the tailshaft. (this is also not present on the other car)

And possibly unrelated, there seems to be some oily spray on the transmission up around where the shifter goes into the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-30-2014, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

After some more research it seems that this could be due to worn splines on the axles (slop where they go into the differential), or the pinion support bearing.

I should also add that I installed a MWC torque arm less than 300 miles ago. Could incorrect pinion angle cause this? It doesn't seem to have any bad vibrations when driving... Also I have a rear diff cover with the bearing cap supports.

Any insights on these issues?
Old 07-31-2014, 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

Here is another video with the driveshaft disconnected, does this seem normal? The problem seems to be the most noticeable slowing down from around 40 to 25 mph with the clutch pushed in/in neutral. It almost seems as though it could be a brake issue because it only does it under light/intermediate pressure on the brakes (note that the steering wheel also shakes up and down a little). If I am hard on the brakes there is no problem.

Also the brakes are too hot to hold your hand on after a 20 minute drive, is this normal?

Any suggestions?

Last edited by z-maro; 07-31-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:18 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I had a buddy's triumph make that exact slapping noise. The driveshaft splines were shot at the rear. Can't remember if he replaced the driveshaft or the rear axle

Quick Reply: Clunk on deceleration/braking