Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to nitrous and need info lots!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to nitrous and need info lots!

Ok guys here we go I'm a forced induction guy and new to nitrous need help getting this straighten out!

the motor is just a 5.3 with 90k miles stock right now will add nitrous cam later on. Goal is low 6s in 8th mile maybe a 5 second pass on the stock bottom end we see forced induction guys do it and i would like to accomplish this on the bottle! car will be ran on microsquirt and E85 for fuel.

1.) what solenoids do i need? and it is a wet kit

2.) nozzle or TB plate system?

3.) activate it off TP?

4.) what kind of A/F am i looking for?

5.) line size?

6.) is it safe to activate off trans brake? i know your not suppose to hit rev limiter on nitrous y I'm asking.. noob question?

7.) any more info that I will need to get this going to the low 6s in a 8th!

car will weight right at 2900#

thanks in advance and keep in mind i want keep this kit very safe to me and the car!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:13 PM
Teching In

also should add this will be on E85
Old 07-31-2014, 08:19 PM
Banned

Get a nano kit or direct port
Old 08-01-2014, 08:40 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ultraspeed
Ok guys here we go I'm a forced induction guy and new to nitrous need help getting this straighten out!

the motor is just a 5.3 with 90k miles stock right now will add nitrous cam later on. Goal is low 6s in 8th mile maybe a 5 second pass on the stock bottom end we see forced induction guys do it and i would like to accomplish this on the bottle! car will be ran on microsquirt and E85 for fuel.

3.) activate it off TP?

5.) line size?

6.) is it safe to activate off trans brake? i know your not suppose to hit rev limiter on nitrous y I'm asking.. noob question?

thanks in advance and keep in mind i want keep this kit very safe to me and the car!

1.) The solenoids included in the system will match the plate/nozzle, so don't worry about that.

2.) A nozzle will do up to 250 HP, and the plate will normally do around 400 HP. As fast as you are planning to go, you will need to spray a significant amount of nitrous, and a direct port may be a viable option for you.

3.) The nitrous system will normally activate off of WOT. However, you can set up an RPM window switch so that it has to stay within an RPM range that you set.

4.) You want to tune the car for at least .5 point richer than what it runs WOT on motor. Normally a 12.0-12.5 is acceptable.

5.) The line size in the system will match the rest of the components and flow rating of the system, you will probably end up with 6an.

6.) Yes, you can activate of the t brake, there is a wire on our relay for a transbrake input that will keep the system from activating until you let off the brake. The RPM window switch I mentioned earlier will keep you from hitting the limiter on nitrous. Well worth the cost in my opinion.

7.) If you have anymore questions please let me know!

-Garrett
Old 08-01-2014, 10:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

3.) activate it off TP?

5.) line size?

I can help you out. I have a couple questions myself though. I'll answer what I can.

1)I would run our .122 nitrous solenoid(s) with our .187 fuel solenoids. The number of solenoids will be determined by what type of system you choose.

2) You're going to need either a plate like our Stinger,our Puck system or a Direct Port System.

3)I'm not sure what type of car this is going in. Assuming its a 4th gen F-body, you can use the TPS to activate the system. This would require you to run some sort of TPS activation switch. We have the NOS TPS/Window switch available or the NOS Mini Progressive is another good option that has TPS activation.

4) Tune it from reading the plugs. USe the wideband as a reference.

5) 6AN Main feed line.

6) You can wire the system to fire as soon as you let go of the trans brake. I have wiring diagrams available for this. Just PM me your email address and I can send it over.

7) There are a lot of variables here that need to be answered. What transmission are you planning on running? Is this going to be a bone stock 5.3? What intake? What heads? What is done suspension wise on the car? You will have to cram a fairly sizable shot into that 5.3 to run the numbers you're looking for.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Teching In

More info for you guys and thanks very much for coming in and explaining things!

car is a 92 mustang weight is around 2900#
2.) transmission is a power glide not sure on stall converter?
3.) this is a stock 5.3 on microsquirt. will be adding a nitrous cam once i learn more on the subject!
4.) intake is a stock 5.3 truck intake for now but i am open to using a LS1 or holley intake with direct port.
5.) car has full UPR suspension currently know a few people with same setup cutting 1.2-1.3 60s only change is they run th400 not a power glide.

Do you guys know if there is anyone successfully running 200 shot on a stock bottom end 5.3?

Last edited by ultraspeed; 08-01-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Also these are the rules on the nitrous for the class I'm wanting to race but thats not till next year this year just looking at getting some track time with the nitrous setup see what we can do.

NITROUS:
No multiple stages permitted.Second kit must be removed
No progressive controllers or controlling nos flow electronically in any
way.
No Pusher systems of any kind, No nitrous chillers, Bottle temperature must top to bottom.
All nitrous solenoid grounds must be grounded in engine compartment and
visible. ( in plain sight)
Only 1 nitrous bottle allowed in car at a time.
No "leaking" nitrous in any way in any location.
Purge plume must be entirely outside of the engine bay and directed
upward.

Big Block OEM Block Nitrous entries maximum jetting
1 jet .076
2 jets .053
8 jets .026

Big Block Aftermarket Block
1 jet .068
2 jets .048
8 jets .024

Small Block Nitrous entries maximum jetting
1 jet .082
2 jets .057
8 jets .028

car weight for this class will be 3100# fast cars are going mid 5s.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

You can activate/control Nitrous via Microsquirt so you dont need to get a seperate rpm switch or TPS switch.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:59 AM
Teching In

Yes i noticed this last night playing with tuner studio. It look as if I can have MicroSquirt activate the nitrous and ADD fuel Via injector as well as pull timing all on one menu setup. question would be now if I should do a dry or wet kit.. Now only if there is a way to set a Lean A/F ratio that would deactivate the system if something happened to pump or injectors hmmm.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

More info for you guys and thanks very much for coming in and explaining things!

car is a 92 mustang weight is around 2900#
2.) transmission is a power glide not sure on stall converter?
3.) this is a stock 5.3 on microsquirt. will be adding a nitrous cam once i learn more on the subject!
4.) intake is a stock 5.3 truck intake for now but i am open to using a LS1 or holley intake with direct port.
5.) car has full UPR suspension currently know a few people with same setup cutting 1.2-1.3 60s only change is they run th400 not a power glide.

Do you guys know if there is anyone successfully running 200 shot on a stock bottom end 5.3?
One of our in house guys successfully sprays 200-250 on his 5.3 all the time. He is using a single nozzle setup with a truck intake.

-Garrett
Old 08-04-2014, 02:14 PM
Teching In

this on a stock bottom end? what kinda of times/power does it make?
Old 08-04-2014, 02:16 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Makes right around 520HP on 200HP. Stock bottom end with a cam.

-Garrett
Old 08-04-2014, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
One of our in house guys successfully sprays 200-250 on his 5.3 all the time. He is using a single nozzle setup with a truck intake.

-Garrett

This is what I'd like to do...if you could PM me a way to get in touch with him that would be great...I suppose I can just call tomorrow also...

(Sorry about the thread hi-jack...)
Old 08-08-2014, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

Yes i noticed this last night playing with tuner studio. It look as if I can have MicroSquirt activate the nitrous and ADD fuel Via injector as well as pull timing all on one menu setup. question would be now if I should do a dry or wet kit.. Now only if there is a way to set a Lean A/F ratio that would deactivate the system if something happened to pump or injectors hmmm.
Its really going depend on alot more outside of the engine management on how to setup the N2O. Things like converter, suspension, tire, ect are all going to come into play on how much your going to be able to spray.

You could do something like have TunerStudio control like a 100-150 dry shot off the line (depending on your fuel pump/injectors), and then have another 2nd wet kit kick in on a seperate controller after the 60' (sample).

But I would recommend anything over 150 shot just go to a stand alone system and not use Tunerstudio to control the N2O...

Quick Reply: New to nitrous and need info lots!