Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New ls owner in ct

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ls owner in ct

Hi. My names Tim and I live in eastern ct. I recently just purchased my dream car. I have been saving for 5 years to buy one since I sold my iroc to buy my house. Anyways it's a 98 z28 black 6 speed with 38k miles. It is 100% untouched other then maintence and new tires. I'm hoping to save up to purchase a hurst shifter and maybe a cat back but really love driving it and enjoying it as is for now. I will be keeping my eyes peeled for nice used goodies. Thanks
Old 08-02-2014, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome Tim. Fellow Eastern Nutmegger here too. Don't be in too much of a hurry to modify your car. Enjoy for it a year or so before deciding anything. A cat-back might sound better, and a Hurst might shift a wee bit better (with more rattles). But, there's nothing like knowing you own a 100% factory stock LS-1 Camaro/Firebird, something very few people can say, especially at 38K miles. And once you take the parts come off, it's not quite the same thing when/if they get re-installed down the road. If I ran across a slick-shifting (and quite) low mileage LS-1 I'd be very hesitant to swap out the shifter. Any rattles or sounds from your shifter/trans? My shifter was swapped out by the orig owner when the car was essentially brand new. It's also a '99 vintage Hurst short throw. I've driven a few ultra low mile 6 speed cars with the OEM shifters and imo there's not much difference. At times I can still miss a shift with the Hurst short throw. One's technique is probably just as important (or more) than the shifter itself. Did you find that car in Eastern CT? The pickings are usually pretty slim in these parts and usually way over-priced.

Last edited by Firebrian; 08-02-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Welcome Tim. Fellow Eastern Nutmegger here too. Don't be in too much of a hurry to modify your car. Enjoy for it a year or so before deciding anything. A cat-back might sound better, and a Hurst might shift a wee bit better (with more rattles). But, there's nothing like knowing you own a 100% factory stock LS-1 Camaro/Firebird, something very few people can say, especially at 38K miles. And once you take the parts come off, it's not quite the same thing when/if they get re-installed down the road. If I ran across a slick-shifting (and quite) low mileage LS-1 I'd be I very hesitant to swap out the shifter. Any rattles or sounds from your shifter/trans? My shifter was swapped out by the orig owner when the car was essentially brand new. It's also a '99 vintage Hurst short throw. I've driven a few ultra low mile 6 speed cars with the OEM shifters and imo there's not much difference. At times I can still miss a shift with the Hurst short throw. One's technique is probably just as important (or more) than the shifter itself. Did you find that car in Eastern CT? The pickings are usually pretty slim in these parts and usually way over-priced.
Thanks. I do like the fact that it's unmolested and can drive it anywhere even the ac blows cold still. I have been looking for a few years and the pickings a slim to none. This car was traded in on a new car locally and I bought it right away. At a good price too. I don't care for the shifter in it. It does shift smooth but the **** is to big and the throw seems huge. I have a hurst in my Comanche and love it. But for know I'm going to take your advise and drive and enjoy this time capsul lol

Quick Reply: New ls owner in ct