Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

g5x3 on a stock GTO??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default g5x3 on a stock GTO??

Car is stock for now, but will have ls1 edit of course. And very shortly a set of headers and catback. What would you expect powerwise?
Old 05-21-2004, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What to expect? 400rwhp (IRS will kill alot of power) and you better buy good springs and be ready to change them often.
It'll sound killer, but I would go with something more mild than that. the idea of having that big of a cam in a nice car like the goat- it doesn't work for me. I would prefer to have a spec'd out cam that would provide the most torque and low end power- with the flattest curve of course.
the Trex is cool for bragging rights or sound, but to me its more of a little mans syndrome. (the short guy that becomes a body builder- "if I can't be taller, I be wider" complex.) you know the guys I'm talking about- they can bench press a greyhound, yet can't wipe their own ***..
the Trex is the same way- It's big, it's makes lotsa top end hp and it's cool as hell to tell people the specs when they ask, but is it necessary? No.
Contact one of many reputable cam experts (you can find them on this board) and have them spec you out a true custom cam for your driving requirements. Then take all the extra money you'll save on broken valvesprings and galled cyliders/ destroyed pistons (from dropping the valve in the cylinder) and buy a set of GTP heads.

Good luck.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, amongst my group of friends...all of em are about 5'4...my buddy has installed at least 8 G5X3 cams for our local fbody guys. All of which are now making in excess of 400rwhp. The above question was for a friends car, and he is looking to go radical.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

the G5X3 is an INCREDIBLE cam perfect for daily driving... I drive at least 150-200 miles A DAY, ive had a 1400 mile road trip, and I use the AC every day in our 110 degree heat... The cam got 27.6 mpg on average at 85 mph with BFG DRs at 27 PSI... I had a G5X2 cam for 20K miles, then ive had my X3 for approx 15K miles problem free... I challange anyone to say the cam isnt drivable or will cause problems because it wont. Notice all the nay sayers are non G5X3 cam owners... while all the G5X3 owners love the cam. In addition this is one of the few cams that covers exactly as you say "the entire powerband" It has more low end then 90% of cams out there, and more top end. I did a cam swap on a T/A that had a TR 220 "Torque cam", went to a G5X2 114 cam... Guess what? This Torque Cam had identicle low numbers on the dyno, the G5X2 wasnt missing any low end like others claimed it did, yet at 3500 it took off and made a almost 30 additional rwhp over the 220 cam...
Old 05-21-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The X-3 would be a good cam for stock heads. It's not near as big as people think it is. The harshness of the lobes actually provides better driveability due to vacum/idle charecteristics and the power should be great. If he would like more low-end power, he should get it cut on a 112 LSA. The P/V clearence will be tighter, but still doable. Just make sure he gets a good dual valve spring like the Patriot golds or the cranes and he will be fine. There's a post in this section about how long springs are lasting on the XE-R lobes, and there lasting much longer than people thought they would.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bodhi
What to expect? 400rwhp (IRS will kill alot of power) and you better buy good springs and be ready to change them often.
It'll sound killer, but I would go with something more mild than that. the idea of having that big of a cam in a nice car like the goat- it doesn't work for me. I would prefer to have a spec'd out cam that would provide the most torque and low end power- with the flattest curve of course.
the Trex is cool for bragging rights or sound, but to me its more of a little mans syndrome. (the short guy that becomes a body builder- "if I can't be taller, I be wider" complex.) you know the guys I'm talking about- they can bench press a greyhound, yet can't wipe their own ***..
the Trex is the same way- It's big, it's makes lotsa top end hp and it's cool as hell to tell people the specs when they ask, but is it necessary? No.
Contact one of many reputable cam experts (you can find them on this board) and have them spec you out a true custom cam for your driving requirements. Then take all the extra money you'll save on broken valvesprings and galled cyliders/ destroyed pistons (from dropping the valve in the cylinder) and buy a set of GTP heads.

Good luck.
Love the poetry about the T-REX, if only the facts you stated were of substance. The T-REX is producing awesome numbers and times to back it up. You don't have to be a short guy or small d*cked to enjoy the cam, seems you have a screwed up way of thinking. The T-REX went 11.22 @ 122 in a 3475 lb. T/A last night in 90 degree weather in south La. Seems good to me.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99WS6LS1T/A
Love the poetry about the T-REX, if only the facts you stated were of substance. The T-REX is producing awesome numbers and times to back it up. You don't have to be a short guy or small d*cked to enjoy the cam, seems you have a screwed up way of thinking. The T-REX went 11.22 @ 122 in a 3475 lb. T/A last night in 90 degree weather in south La. Seems good to me.
Might I add it is a cam only T/A also, 6 speed 12 bolt w/ 4:56s.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cam is great if you have the proper setup for it. just not awsome on a stock geared car. it drove great with my old 4.10's

Quick Reply: g5x3 on a stock GTO??