General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2002 Camaro Power Window Temperamental

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Camaro Power Window Temperamental

Made a thread about this a while back, but never really figured out the problem, only figured out how to fix the issue when it acts up. But I'd like to permanently fix this problem, since I've dealt with it for 7 months now.

On a rare occasion (probably once every two weeks or so) my driverside window switch only allows the window to go down. But when you try to press up it doesn't move and the radio turns off, the battery gauge dips, and the lights dim. To fix this, I open my door and roughly poke the rubber wire housing (that runs from the door to the inside) and I guess the wire which I believe is shorted out on something jiggles to work correctly and I can put my window back up.

Keep in mind, every other button works fine when this occurs and when it doesn't; passenger window works fine up and down 100% of the time and driver side down works 100%.

I bought a new switch, some 14 gauge wire, and a used power window switch harness prepared to splice a new harness in and run a new wire. The question is, which wire would be shorted for the window to not go up? From what I've read, dark blue is the culprit but I'd like some assurance/second opinions before I run a new wire. OR is it the relay?

NOTE: I've replaced the switch a while back and it seemed to have the same issue so I returned the switch and kept my old one. Which works (or at least 80% of the time)

Last edited by Fracture; 08-07-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: Never mind, I decided to take a gamble and run a new dark blue 14 gauge wire from the window module behind the kick panel to the door, split it to the motor and the new switch I purchased and everything works as it should. Only time will tell if it will act up randomly again.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The fact that the radio goes out at the same time as the windows stop working make it sound like the infamous BCM bad solder joint problem. Have a look at this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...blems-fix.html for details and a free (and fairly simple) fix.

It's a very long thread so you may want to read the first few posts and then skim through to where the photos were re-posted by other members.

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro Power Window Temperamental