General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear end or transmission problem

Old 08-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear end or transmission problem

I have a 1998 Trans am 6 speed, bolt on car, stock rear end and I took it out today and when I put it in reverse and started to back up I hear a muffled bang like I backed into a car. Obviously I didn't so I pushed the clutch in and it rolled forward fine, when to back up and after about a foot it did it again. It was like the car did not want to go backwards.

So tried one more time and it reversed just fine, pulled up to a stop sign and started to take off and it did it going forward but only once. So got the car home and was putting it in reverse and 1st trying to see if it would happen again and it didn't. I tried for 20 minutes or so but it never happened again, the car did sit in storage for a year but I have drove it some in the past couple months. Any ideas?
Old 08-11-2014, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

I'd look to see if the torque arm, panhard or LCA's are doing something they shouldn't be.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check also transmission mounts... my 99 mount was shot and would make loud clucking noises, sounds like that could be similar
Old 08-11-2014, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yup my money is on the trans or torque arm mount.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys, I am going to jack it up today and see if I can put a bar on the transmission and move it to see if the mount is shot.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Just moving them around won't cut it. You have to remove the mounts from the car to see if they are bad.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Went out today and got it up in the air, checked the trans and torque arm mount and they seemed ok, not much movement at all. Then started working my way back, drive shaft looked fine. So I put the two rear tires in the air and started to spin them, I could hear a clicking and then felt a little friction and I thought it was my axel.

So I took off the left rear tire and the rotor and this is what I found:

I am thinking that little pad came loose and was binding up in there because it fell right off, so I started the car and put it in forward and reverse and heard no clicking or felt any friction. I took the other rear tire off and spun the axel and it felt stout, didn't slip or skip but felt strong so I am guessing this little guy might be my problem.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Yup, dead parking brakes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear end or transmission problem