Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Flex fuel on fbody?

Old 08-11-2014, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flex fuel on fbody?

Hey guys, I've seen a few threads about flex fuel on an fbody? I am interested in this. How does it work ? I am buildin a turbo 5.3 and am going to use e85. But for taking long cruises I would like the ability to switch to pump gas because of e85 availibility. Can this be done?
Old 08-17-2014, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Nobody?
Old 08-17-2014, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on what year F-Body.

You can run a dual flash PCM and flip the switch when you switch fuels...or if you've got a 99-2002, there is an SUV OS that's flex fuel compatible (sensor input goes to blue pin 56), but that OS doesn't leave enough room in the PCM for a 3 bar enhanced OS...so you can only upgrade to 2 bar with HPTuners. I don't believe EFILive supports any COS on top of the flex fuel OS that you can run in that PCM.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...sor-fbody.html
Old 08-17-2014, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Thank! Dual flash PCM seems like it would be more reliable
Old 08-18-2014, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

swap to a 05 express van pcm (1mb)(dbc) you will have to swap some pins around at the pcm connector efilive has a 3 bar custom o/s for the flex fuel o/s's

wire it up with a 2012 equinox fuel composition sensor and you get on the fly fuel and spark adjustments by ethanol percentage
Old 08-18-2014, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by josh4ku
Thank! Dual flash PCM seems like it would be more reliable
Frost was selling them, but I don't know if he still is. I believe it was setup so you had to shut the ignition off, flip the switch and then start it back up...there may have also been something like the engine has to be off for 10 or 20 seconds too.

The blue/green PCM's are able to do it with one flash and still run 3 bar...the post above mine points out a calibration and hardware that will work with the cable TB...as will a 2004 GTO. Some (not all but some) blue/green PCM's are physically missing the hardware to be drive by cable, but those are 2 that I know will work.

The benefit of doing it with an actual alcohol sensor...E85 is almost never actually 85%, and even pump gas (E10) is almost never actually 10%...when you have the sensor, it knows the exact %, and when it's tuned right, it adjusts on the fly for varying %...especially if you add some fuel to another fuel in your tank...unless you drained it and purged the lines/pump/rails/filter then you're running some blend anyways.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Frost was selling them, but I don't know if he still is. I believe it was setup so you had to shut the ignition off, flip the switch and then start it back up...there may have also been something like the engine has to be off for 10 or 20 seconds too.

The blue/green PCM's are able to do it with one flash and still run 3 bar...the post above mine points out a calibration and hardware that will work with the cable TB...as will a 2004 GTO. Some (not all but some) blue/green PCM's are physically missing the hardware to be drive by cable, but those are 2 that I know will work.

The benefit of doing it with an actual alcohol sensor...E85 is almost never actually 85%, and even pump gas (E10) is almost never actually 10%...when you have the sensor, it knows the exact %, and when it's tuned right, it adjusts on the fly for varying %...especially if you add some fuel to another fuel in your tank...unless you drained it and purged the lines/pump/rails/filter then you're running some blend anyways.
thanks guys! the only thing that scares me is if the sensor is working or not. Or if it ever fails.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by josh4ku
thanks guys! the only thing that scares me is if the sensor is working or not. Or if it ever fails.
I think they're pretty reliable. You can also set the default % if it does fail to whatever you want...so you could set that to whatever your fuel is supposed to be.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked heavily into trying to do REAL flex fuel in my camaro and the end result if it cannot be reliably done and keep all functionality on a factory pcm. You can put in a van pcm like they said but you ac won't work right. You can probable get an aftermarket pcm system to do it but you are going to drop more cash then I was willing to. In the end I went dual flash pcm and a zeitronix ethanol content analyzer. You still the have to have 3-4 tunes at different ethanol concentrations because like mentioned earlier it changes through out the year with lower ethanol concentrations during the winter. Hope that helps some

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flex fuel on fbody?