Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help!!converter Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need Help!!converter Install

Just installed a tci ssf3500 and b&m shift improver so far took it on a quick test spin and something must be wrong the converter feels REALLY loose and I cannot feel the shifts at all. I have not done any full throttle runs yet but car seems very sluggish and under moderate to hard acceleration I "feel" a "clicking" coming from the tranny area. any ideas? also how many quarts of fluid do you normaly have to put back in? I put in 7 so far and its seems to show overfull now on the dipstick. Heres some info to help out

Tranny was completely removed from car and all fluid removed
I poured some fluid in the converter prior to assembly(1/2 quart or so)
car has 3.73 gears
I can feel converter lock and unlock
I have done shift kits and conveters in older(700r & t350)trans before

Help me out guys I dont post much but I read all the time and I know theres alot of guys who now their stuff on here.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

UPDATE...... I added another quart and now its seems to drive better I'm still surprised in the amount of slip since everyone seems to say it would be almost like stock. Now the only thing that concerns me is the clicking like sound I hear, it only seems to do it in 1st after it shifts into second I cant seem to make it make the noise.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm...i am really rackin my brain here for ya. did you make sure everything is together that was taken apart? i would go thru the installation again without taking the trans all apart. walk through everything you did and se if you might have forgot something. i am not sure about adding quarts. 7 seems on the high tho.

i just put my VIG in and it does slip. i am not sure if it is slipping alot but when i accelerate it goooooooes. i barely feel my shifts upon normal acceleration but it really dont bother me. i have only got on it once, and the shift was somewhat firm. nothing necksnapping, but it did have a little kick to it. that shift kit depending on how many washers you put in to increase firmness might be noticeable at WOT.

hope this helps

J
Old 05-21-2004, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks J, Somethings definitly's not right the clicking is getting worse its hard to explain but to me its like gear teeth stripping one by one. It makes the noise under any kind of acceleration now so I guess its back up on jacks. This sucks, I can visualize all the parts and I cant imagin what would even make this noise.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I did mine, I added 10 quarts. I did it just the way you did.

I dont know about the clicking sound though. You may want to see if the zip tie straps for your E brake cables are not rubbing on the driveshaft. I had them rubbing once and it clicked like crazy!
Old 05-21-2004, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

I'll check that sleeper. I also remember something else, I have my pcm programmed to 100% shift firmness via HPP3. Since I now have the shiftkit in there I will reprogram the pcm. Would to high of line pressure cause the clicking? I set the shiftkit up to shift as firm as possible. Maybe its just to much pressure. Also the clicking sounds/feels just like if your still rolling and put your car in park
Old 05-22-2004, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Smile Fixed!!

Well, I reset my pcm to stock shift firmness and the noise is gone. I dont think thats what fixed it tho I think it maybe had something to do with the loose tranny crossmember. Also its seems to shift better(firmer) with the programming set back to stock. The only issue now is the 2-3 shift seems soft and slow only at 3/4 - full throttle. Maybe this is the torque-management I've heard about (car is a 98')? All in all I like the way the car drives with the converter I wish it was more responsive from a 40-50mph stomp seems kinda lazy it goes but not how i expected. I think a cam is now what the car needs to fully take advantage of the converter(this is how it begins) anyway thanks for the responses guys.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

TQ management shouldn't be much of an issue in a 98'. You will now when TM is kicking it. It does it when the shift occurs and it feels liek the car is falling on it's face.

I have a 1998 T/A with a TCI SSF3500. I didn't get any clicking noises what so ever.

My shifts have softened a bit but nothing dramatic. When you hit the gas it takes a bit for the car to respond (engine responds the exact same).This is a fucntion of the converter slipping. Totally normal. If it bothers you use a little more throttle.

Maybe it's a matter of differences in perception.

Did you make sure the converter was seated properly?

If you are still having a problem go through and check EVERYTHING. Check all the basics. It is very easy to forget something when you just fiddled with so many different things.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:28 AM
Staging Lane

I've got everything straightened out now the clicking noise was the crossmember. It must have been sliding up and down a bit on the bolt threads? As for the converter and how it drives I LOVE IT!!! It does take a bit to get used to but now I see why some even say go bigger. I dont know whats up with the 2-3 shift it seems slow and almost like it shifts twice? It does seem to lose power during the 2-3 I dunno I'll just have to play around with it.