Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!AIR and new wires running very badly

Old 08-13-2014, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !AIR and new wires running very badly

Hi, thank you for checking out my post. I did lots of searching before i made this post, nothing i could find matched the problem.

I have a 98 LS1. Car has bolt ons and 228 cam. The car has run excellent the last year ive had it. Yesterday i was going to have a mechanic i work with install plugs, he pulled the drivers side, said they were in good condition and recommended not replacing them. So back in they went, i asked him to install the MSD wires i had purchased anyway, which he did. he also removed the AIR tubes and put the block off plates with gaskets on them as well as taking off the AIR pump itself.

I got in the car to drive it and its running like a dog, hesitating, no power. and when idling it will occasionally backfire. The cars "check gages" would flicker as well, Which it never did before.

The mechanic pulled the plugs out, checked for cracks in them, checked to make sure the wires were all on tight, OHM tested them. He thinks the reason the car is acting up is because of the AIR delete, i don't really know what to think at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-13-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, you really need to scan it for codes to eliminate a lot of the guessing, then go from there.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Teching In

I forgot to add i did hook a scanner up to it, no codes. SES also isnt on, even after deleting the AIR. Thank you for your response!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

IMO, the only thing with the air delete that would cause any of those issues would be if the block off plates weren't sealing completely. Otherwise a issue with spark.

I'd also make sure that the MAP sensor or anything else behind the intake manifold didn't get disturbed.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 08-15-2014 at 01:29 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 08-14-2014, 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did he get get all the vacuum tubes removed or capped off ? Could have a vac leak.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:32 AM
Teching In

I'll check the MAP sensor when I get back to work. I was under the impression that the 98-00 didn't have any other vacuum lines that needed to be blocked off. I'll check that as well. Thanks again for all comments!!
Old 08-14-2014, 10:30 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Although it's not causing your current issues, you'll eventually need to get the A.I.R. system tuned out from the PCM.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can get rid of everything in these 2 pics. I outlined them in red.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

On the T fitting in the back of the intake you have the hose facing the pass side of the car. That is for the HVAC trap door, you need to plumb it back in to the nipple the T fitting was on. So just get a straight rubber boot to plumb that line back on the intake.

What part of Utah are you in ? I'm up in Park City.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good photos!

FYI, the 98-99s don't have additional parts that go over to the driver side of the intake manifold.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Good photos!

FYI, the 98-99s don't have additional parts that go over to the driver side of the intake manifold.

Did not know that, thanks for the info. My car is 2000, so that would explain that.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:31 AM
On The Tree

Isn't one of the vacuum tubes on the rear of the intake part of the heater system.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by conan
On the T fitting in the back of the intake you have the hose facing the pass side of the car. That is for the HVAC trap door, you need to plumb it back in to the nipple the T fitting was on. So just get a straight rubber boot to plumb that line back on the intake.
Originally Posted by tigersooner
Isn't one of the vacuum tubes on the rear of the intake part of the heater system.
Yes
Old 08-15-2014, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like a problem with spark to me.

The blinking check engine light means misfires are detected.

Put the stock wires back on and change them one at a time until it starts misfiring again. May have to do the same thing with the plugs. Probably a hairline crack in a plug that is hard to see.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Thank you everyone for the feedback!!

I went back to see if i could figure it out and the mechanic had said he pulled all the plugs off and didn't see a problem with them. Car NOW runs perfectly. Friend of mine who also works at the dealership said the kid ran to a parts store in between fixing my car. My guess is he cracked a plug and found it when he was checking the wires, ran to an Autozone and bought a new plug. Will not be having him work on the car again.

Conan, Im living in Orem. Park City is a beautiful place
Old 09-01-2014, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Truckerbob99
Thank you everyone for the feedback!!

I went back to see if i could figure it out and the mechanic had said he pulled all the plugs off and didn't see a problem with them. Car NOW runs perfectly. Friend of mine who also works at the dealership said the kid ran to a parts store in between fixing my car. My guess is he cracked a plug and found it when he was checking the wires, ran to an Autozone and bought a new plug. Will not be having him work on the car again.

Conan, Im living in Orem. Park City is a beautiful place
Could have been a loose wire as shunderstruck mentioned. Who knows what he did. Nice to see some one from UT with an F-body... Not to many around here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: !AIR and new wires running very badly