Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan Gasket and Motor Mounts questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Pan Gasket and Motor Mounts questions.

Okay, I have poly motor mounts, I have the GM oil pan gasket. I am ready to install. question before I get started. I have a strut tower mounting engine support.

1. where do I chain it to. I have no ac compressor and am going to remove the Alt, can I bolt it in those location using the stock bolts? I am tapped on cash and can't get new bolts to use in the exhaust or intake mani, like I've seen others do.

2. whats the easiest way of dropping the K member? A good friend said I could use 6in bolts and replace the bolts one by one and lower the K-member on the longer bolts and that saves from a lot of trouble of disconnecting a lot of parts

3. I don't have any sealant, all I have is the oil pan gasket itself, is this good enough?

Thank you.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

There are screw in holes in the front of the cylinder heads, the PS pump blocks the drivers side. You can use those if you want. The kmember is held by a bunch of stuff, removing the bolts won't let it drop much if at all. When you start undoing the struts and steering shaft that's when its gonna start really coming down. I would say lower it with a jack as far as you need. Its gonna need to come down a good bit to get the pan off unfortunately.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
There are screw in holes in the front of the cylinder heads, the PS pump blocks the drivers side. You can use those if you want. The kmember is held by a bunch of stuff, removing the bolts won't let it drop much if at all. When you start undoing the struts and steering shaft that's when its gonna start really coming down. I would say lower it with a jack as far as you need. Its gonna need to come down a good bit to get the pan off unfortunately.
I know what all needs to be taken off. this oil pan is a FUBAR situation haha
Old 08-16-2014, 06:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Use red Hi-temp RTV silicone on the 4 corners where the oil pan meets the front and rear cover.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:11 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Gasket and Motor Mounts questions.