Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end wine!!!! Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear end wine!!!! Help

I had a 12 bolt in my car and it was making the normal wine, so I replaced it with a mwc ford 9 and it still wines! Is this just normal? It's real bad at 50mph or less . Really frustrated with this. Give people rides and they are like wtf is wrong with this thing.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's normal for it to whine, but it shouldn't be loud. My Moser 9 wines mostly in 5th or 6th gear, although it's not a very loud wine.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:49 PM
Teching In

From my experience, I don't think moser sets the ring and pinion up right. I think they just throw them together without checking the gear mesh. I bought a new ring and pinion and set it up myself and you can barely hear a whine.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Moser every now and then sees a pattern developing regarding complaints about gear noise, or excessive wear from certain brands of gears, and they'll switch to a different brand of gears as there main source. They do indeed adjust the backlash, you have to keep in mind that performance gears are designed for strength, and you can almost guarantee a little noise out of them. Combine that with having a torque arm acting as a stethoscope and it's hard not to have a little gear noise. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-23-2014, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Driveshaft makes a difference as well. My aluminum 1LE shaft was 1/2 as quiet as my 3.5in PST aluminum shaft. Strange but true.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
Driveshaft makes a difference as well. My aluminum 1LE shaft was 1/2 as quiet as my 3.5in PST aluminum shaft. Strange but true.
By that same logic, would a good carbon fiber driveshaft be twice as quiet as ANY metal shaft, due to the NVH damping qualities of the material (even though I know all of you drag racers out there mostly HATE them)??
Old 08-24-2014, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dailydriver
By that same logic, would a good carbon fiber driveshaft be twice as quiet as ANY metal shaft, due to the NVH damping qualities of the material (even though I know all of you drag racers out there mostly HATE them)??

I would think a cf shaft would be near silent....but there is still the torque arm to carry noise. I almost got a cf shaft for this reason but its massive size (3.750in) would have been real close to the e-brake bracket in the tunnel.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by josh4ku
I had a 12 bolt in my car and it was making the normal wine, so I replaced it with a mwc ford 9 and it still wines! Is this just normal? It's real bad at 50mph or less . Really frustrated with this. Give people rides and they are like wtf is wrong with this thing.
I like red wine with my steak, however I go to a drier white wine with chicken or fish.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteveC
I like red wine with my steak, however I go to a drier white wine with chicken or fish.
Ahh, quit your winning...hummm wait a minute, wine-ing...nope. Baah give me a beer
Old 08-25-2014, 08:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gear noise is normal with all aftermarket rearends, it's usually just a matter of how much. Some times the setup can be adjusted pretty easy without removing the center section from the car for a "fine tuning", especially if the noise is more specific to load or decel. There is no way for a person to know how a gear will sound until it is actually installed and ran in the car.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Gear noise is normal with all aftermarket rearends, it's usually just a matter of how much. Some times the setup can be adjusted pretty easy without removing the center section from the car for a "fine tuning", especially if the noise is more specific to load or decel. There is no way for a person to know how a gear will sound until it is actually installed and ran in the car.
I have a set of "Timken" 3.73:1 in Sara (2001 Z28), I purchased the cryod gears from ProGear, and had them do the setup and install.

I have NEVER had any whine sound from the rear end at all. The gears are extremely quiet.

ProGear is a rear end gear only shop located in San Diego, that's there entire business, they do not do oil changes, sell candy, or wash cars.

My point? "Take your vehicle into the proper professionals to do the work.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

I have a set of "Timken" 3.73:1 in Sara (2001 Z28), I purchased the cryod gears from ProGear, and had them do the setup and install.

I have NEVER had any whine sound from the rear end at all. The gears are extremely quiet.

ProGear is a rear end gear only shop located in San Diego, that's there entire business, they do not do oil changes, sell candy, or wash cars.

My point? "Take your vehicle into the proper professionals to do the work.
By 'Timken', do you mean ALL of the bearings in the axle (pinion, 2 carrier, 2 axle) are made by this company, hopefully here in the U.S., or something else??
Old 08-25-2014, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

By 'Timken', do you mean ALL of the bearings in the axle (pinion, 2 carrier, 2 axle) are made by this company, hopefully here in the U.S., or something else??
I had my rear end gears swapped out on Sara (2001 Z28) @ 5k original miles.

When the rear end was initially inspected, the carrier bearings and the axle bearings did not need to be replaced, so in my case the ring and pinion were replaced. I did have the carrier bearing caps "studded" and had them install a "T/A girdle".

The ring and pinion box had the name "Timken" on it, and the gears were manufactured in the United States, ProGear let me know that they do not carry foreign ring and pinion sets, and they shy away from installing them.

I do have an aftermarket adjustable torque arm (BMR) so I do not know if this helps keep things "quiet" I also have the aluminum driveshaft. They reset the pinion angle to "0", and at least for me, all has been well for the last 13 years (knock wood).

The rear end gears were "cryod" for an additional $50, for added strength, and removal of contaminants present in the gear set.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:43 AM
TECH Regular

Timkin bearings i believe say Japan on the back. Im in the middle of having a buddy install some new street strip gears from strange (US gear i think) with all new bearings also while im in there. Its a Ford 9 inch. Hes pretty picky about his setups so im interested in the amount of noise ill get. It was screaming before and said **** it, drove it for a year and a half not many miles. Found strange wear on one of the carrier races. Gear contact looked decent. Ill let everyone know
Old 08-26-2014, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Some clarification here, I just got off the telephone with ProGear, and spoke to the installer that did the work back in 2001. He told me that the ring and pinion gears themselves were an USA manufacturer, and the install kit was Timken. In 2001 Timken "packaged" ring and pinion gears along with their install kits together under their name brand.

Sorry for any confusion that my original post may have caused.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

I am having good luck with Motive Performance gears. My 9 inch is quieter than my buddies 7.5 10 bolt. I built both rears.

I set my 9 inch up with a tighter backlash than what was recommended for the gears. Backlash was .006. Pattern was perfect.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's how much whine is made, and there's how much
is coupled / radiated. Hard to say with something that
only happens at speed. But you could try things like
spraying the pumpkin and axle tubes with some sort of
sound deadening (maybe wrap them with some towels and
zip-ties, and road test first, to see about that). Things
like hose-mod will increase cabin coupling. Maybe add a
little "donut" between the lower perch and the springs,
to take some of the edge off. Used to see these on old
cars, did not find any on mine. Definitely would help
keep the springs from ringing and transmitting to the
upper perch. Might look at damping the Panhard and
torque arm tubes somehow, too. Maybe just find or
drill an open hole and squirt some of that expanding
foam down them. If experimenting shows any value.

A heavier grade differential oil might quiet things down
some, if it's tooth / setup related whine.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

Some clarification here, I just got off the telephone with ProGear, and spoke to the installer that did the work back in 2001. He told me that the ring and pinion gears themselves were an USA manufacturer, and the install kit was Timken. In 2001 Timken "packaged" ring and pinion gears along with their install kits together under their name brand.

Sorry for any confusion that my original post may have caused.
Yes, that's what I thought.

It was probably an AAM gearset, or one of the few others still made here in '01.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I am convinced that some noise is a fact of life with ford 9" gear sets. I just installed a Motive set in a brand new Yukon center with a new posi. The gear pattern is perfect. But, they still whine a bit from 50-60mph. They are by far the quietest set I've had in that rear, but you can still hear them. I know the set-up is good because the whine it makes is identical drive and coast in that narrow band. I did notice a slight decrease in noise when going from a 80-90wt oil to a 75-140. Also, the noise increases slightly with the oil temperature. The warmer the rear gets, the more noise it makes. When it's cold it's very hard to hear the whine.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Gear noise is normal with all aftermarket rearends, it's usually just a matter of how much.
respectfully disagree.
what causes the noise?
how come the noise was not present on my oem 10 bolt in my 2002 ss until after a leaky pinion seal change by the dealer at around 10k miles? when i got to 60k miles about 10 years later is when it started howling.

the s60 i put in last year howled from the get go. had the R&P replaced, started off a little quieter but after ~2000 miles it's as loud as before if not worse. 3.73 ratio, ******* annoying at 55-60 mph.

my 2006 gmc 2500HD with the 11.5" AAM axle with I think 90k miles on it is quiet.

what is different then with "aftermarket" rear ends?

why can't they make them and set them up as good as oem rear ends and be quiet?

http://www.geartechnology.com/subjects/gear_noise

Last edited by 1 FMF; 08-27-2014 at 03:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear end wine!!!! Help