Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas speed ORY terrible fitment

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texas speed ORY terrible fitment

I got my texas speed ORY and my pacestter headers in and started installing them. I got the headers in just fine, but the ORY will not slide over the end of the headers. I asked around and no one else has had this problem, but it seems like the end of the headers and the ORY are the exact same diameter, so there is no way it will slide over it. It's like this on both sides. Can an exhaust shop somehow expend the ends of the ORY for me? Curious to see if anyone else has had this problem.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:01 PM
Launching!

You can have a shop open up the end or just rent an exhaust expander. I never had that problem with mine fitment was excellent
Old 08-17-2014, 08:10 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That definitely seems odd, though I'm sure it's possible that the manufacturer could have missed expanding them. My TSP y fit just perfect onto my PaceSetters, but I would have probably just taken the pipes to a local place to get expanded if I had ran into the problem.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The TSP Y-pipe shouldn't need any of the pieces expanded to fit together; they should already be expanded so the pieces with fit. I'd contact TSP about the lack of fitment issues. FYI, post up some photo's if you can it might help accelerate resolving the fitment issue(maybe).
Old 08-18-2014, 11:42 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are the headers coated? The only ones I've ever heard of that had a problem were with a coated pacesetter header. The coating was just too thick for the y-pipe.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 08-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Launching!

I'd be careful taking it to an exhaust shop because they can overexpand that Y real easy and you'll never seal up the leaks. If it was my car, I'd run to the auto parts store and rent an expander you can use at home. They are not very effective which is just want you need. Something that will slightly expand the pipe without overdoing it.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sales2@Texas-speed
Are the headers coated? The only ones I've ever heard of that had a problem were with a coated pacesetter header. The coating was just too thick for the y-pipe.
Yes they were coated. Perhaps you should write a note that your y-pipe does not fit the coated pacesetter header?
Old 08-18-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Regular

I had the same problem with my tsp ory not sliding over my pacesetter headers and my where not coat mine where rusting little so I sanded them down and painted them black but I also had to cut mine cuz the left side was to long and to fit right up to the header and band clamp the pipe together and now my left side don't fit right
Old 08-19-2014, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Freak_Show
Yes they were coated. Perhaps you should write a note that your y-pipe does not fit the coated pacesetter header?
I wouldn't be to quick to point fingers. It's also possible that Pacesetter f'ed up and the header coating is thicker than it should be of the collectors where manufactured wrong.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i agree coating is not a perfect process some sets may simply get more coating than they are supposed to resulting in this problem. either lightly sand the collector or rent an expander
Old 08-19-2014, 06:38 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't put that stainless Y in an expander. It will split. It's boys slow and gradual either. It's violent and too quick to stop. Trust me
Old 08-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Well i went to put the rest of the y-pipe together and not one joint fits correctly. The other three connections are awful as well. The pipe is expanded too much on every other joint. I can bottom out the nut on the clamp and the pipe just slides back out. I can try to get a video, but there is so much play between the pipes, it will never seal with these clamps. I think I'm going to have to go get everything welded together
Old 08-20-2014, 11:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Freak_Show
Well i went to put the rest of the y-pipe together and not one joint fits correctly. The other three connections are awful as well. The pipe is expanded too much on every other joint. I can bottom out the nut on the clamp and the pipe just slides back out. I can try to get a video, but there is so much play between the pipes, it will never seal with these clamps. I think I'm going to have to go get everything welded together
There's no need to get any of that welded together. Please e-mail me at lonnie@texas-speed.com or call and we will get this taken care of for you.

Lonnie
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 08-20-2014, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^I was expecting that, TSP general does a good job of taking care of its customers.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:22 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fry_
^^^I was expecting that, TSP general does a good job of taking care of its customers.
Always awesome customer service in all my experiences as well.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Well i filmed a short video and sent it to tsp. This is how all the joints are, it seems that they expanded them about an 1/8 inch too large. Correct me if i'm wrong, but this will need to be welded to seal up. When it is 100% clamped down the pipe still slides out. And the joints going to the headers are too small, I'm afraid to expand them more. here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gInv...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-20-2014, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

did you contact lonnie? he seems more than willing to swap out the pipe, these things happen so why not just get a new y?
Old 08-23-2014, 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

ya i had the same problem with my tsp ory as well i had to sand down the coating on the header just enough for it to fit over lol got rid of it for pacesetters ory.

Quick Reply: Texas speed ORY terrible fitment