Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Trans Go Shift Kit worth it????

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is the Trans Go Shift Kit worth it????

Just picked up a 98 Z28 A4, looking into doing some mods. I had a shift kit in my 88GTA that would chirp 2nd gear. Does this Shift kit do that??? if not what shift kit do you guys recommend to do this.

Marco
Old 05-22-2004, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Krazy98TA
Just picked up a 98 Z28 A4, looking into doing some mods. I had a shift kit in my 88GTA that would chirp 2nd gear. Does this Shift kit do that??? if not what shift kit do you guys recommend to do this.

Marco
I put one in my 99 Vette and i love it! You can chirp the tires in second with no problem.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

love mine too....

great mod especially if you do a converter too.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

How much does a typical install on one of these cost???

Sounds like what I am looking for, does this kill the stock tranny????
Old 05-22-2004, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

i would like to kno of this too...also...is any tuning neededs after install...and will it kill the stock tranny?
Old 05-23-2004, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it should make the stock trans live longer
because the shifts are faster
it doesnt ride the clutches nearly as much.

if i were you guys,
id do the converter first,
THEN put in the transgo with three washers.
put in three before the converter,
and you'll snap your diff
put in less than three with a converter,
your shifts will be mush.

the higher the stall,
the mushier the shifts.
but with three washers and 3.73's
i can still chirp into second even with this 4000 verter.

i really dont like to advertise specific brand names,
(look at my sig, haha)
but in this case i feel i must say,
transgo or NOTHING.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

for how much and where can it be taken to get done? or is it easyy enough to do yourself?
Old 05-23-2004, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got mine done, and it went from feeling fine, to feeling sloppy, and now it wouldn't shift into 3rd on wide open throttle. I took it back and they told me to have the computer rechecked to make sure. They looked at the programming and nothing has changed. I got made and told the guy to look it over again. He had it for 7 days, and gave it back yesterday. Guess what the shifts even felt sloppier than before, and now all of a sudden on the freeway 3rd gear would not engage, and it made it hard to drive on the freeway. So I took it back to the shop and left it for the weekend, and he said he will drive it on monday. Before I got back to the shop 4th wouldn't engage. So I drove the Vette in second ten miles at 55 miles an hour back to the shop. I explained to the guy on the cell phone and he kept telling me that the shift kit had nothing to do with the 2 to 3 shift or the 3 to 4th shift. WTF does that have to do that it worked great before, and now it won't shift and I can't drive it. I am ready to bitch slap the guy. He is also the guy that invented a lot of the modern modifications for the 4l60e working with Art Carr. He even showed me magazine articles that featured him. Now I think the guy thinks that it is impossible that he could have made a mistake. I am very curios to hear from him on Monday to see what he has to say when he sees that it won't shift, but I am starting to have a feeling that somehow he is going to say that I burned out the clutches or something, and that this is my fault. I have not had my car for 2 weeks now, just to get a freaking Transgo shift kit put in.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Banned

Default hell yes

to answer your question.......yes.......... Thanks for listening , hope this helps Dave
Old 05-24-2004, 04:18 AM
Restricted User

The way the Trans-Go Performance Shift kit is setup now, it will not give you the "full" potential that it once did in the past. Reason, the kit is now setup to work with "torque management". If you disable torque management (which you should do in any performance situation) then you can get the maximum out of the kit. I setup this kit to give the maximum under WOT situations, while retaining nice (not harsh) part throttle shifts. If you have any questions on this let me know?
Old 05-24-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Krazy98TA

Marco
Yes, the transgo shift kit is definetly worth it, I had one installed (#3 washer) in my 2001 Z28 along with a Y3000 2.0 STR, and a Super 2-4 billet servo, and I can chirp second VERY easily, and sometimes chirp 3rd. What is more important is that it takes alot of slop out of the shifts, and mechanically beefs up the transmission to handle the higher line pressure the TC creates.

SteveC
Old 05-24-2004, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

I have the SY3500. I installed the Transgo shift kit with the #2 washer. I LOVE IT. It's a daily driver (just rolled 70k miles) so I didn't want to go to radical with it.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Yes a TransGo (when PROPERLY installed) is a great upgrade. I have it in my Z71 with both billet apply servos (intermediate and OD) and can catch 2nd (bark it) at WOT with 33" A/T tires. But down low my shifts are nice a crisp, not harsh. BUT I have NO washers. They add a lot of harshness to the 1-2 upshift as that's all they effect. I had only one in there with the billets and it pissed me off to no end.

Also be smart, get a fat tranny cooler on there too.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

I've heard too many different things on shift kits. I will NEVER put one of those on my car.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

seriously that car (98 z28 a4) chirps stock, make sure asr is off