Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

long tubes and clearance to wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default long tubes and clearance to wiring question

I just installed tsp 1 3/4 long tubes on my 98 Trans Am. How much clearance do I need between long tubes and wiring/ignition wires? Some wiring is about 3/4" away secured with zip ties and wire strap. Should i be ok? Is it necessary to pick up ignition wire protectors? I have race style no egr or air.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you talking about the wiring on the passenger side toward the rear of the engine that goes under the headers?
Old 08-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Launching!

Yes, im talking about the two wire looms taped in silver aluminum tape. They run down the body, down the passenger strut to a connector near the bottom. At one point, the loom is 3/4" away from the header. Just wondering in general, what would be a safe clearance between header and wiring. Im going to grab heat resistant spark boots, i think i should get extra for this one spot
Old 08-20-2014, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same concern right after I installed LT headers on my engine.
The spark plug wire protectors should work great, but you'll need to either disconnect the wire ant one end so you can slide them over the wire of cut the sleeves to fit them, and for their length they're not cheep.
What I did is buy some high temperature aluminum heat sleeve. I think it was either Thermo-Tec, Thermo-Flex Aluminum Heat Shield Sleeves, or DEI Cool Tube Extremes. It looks some what like plastic flex loom, except you need either a set tin snips, utility knife, or heavy duty shears to cut a split in it for the full length so you can slide it over the wires then squeeze the aluminum tube closed around the wires for full protection. I'd put it over any heat barrier that's already on it. I'd also make sure the wiring is tight against the surface(inner fender, K-member, an engine mount pedestals) it goes along for maximum clearance from the headers.
I can't remember the exact diameter I used but it's in the 1/2" to 3/4" range.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...4&PageSize=100
Old 08-21-2014, 07:36 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the tip blu z

Quick Reply: long tubes and clearance to wiring question