Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Longtubes, optional 02 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 11:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hooker Longtubes, optional 02 sensors

Haven't been active on the boards lately due to college and buying a home. Noticed a ticking noise the other day, and having come from the SBC world, figured it was an exhaust leak. My 3rd gen loved to eat header gaskets, so I was quite familiar with the sound.

Poke around, can't find anything. Slightly burnt AIR or EGR block off plate gasket replaced. Still light tick while giving throttle.

Day or two later, driving 30 miles home from school, that slight tick became half as loud as a WOT Harley driving down a quiet country road at 3am.

Nosed my head under the car after pulling in the drive and here is what I found:

These are Hooker Longtubes. Unsure of the model number, they were on the Z28 when I purchased it. Florida car, seen no snow in ohio either.

Half decent turning wrenches but I don't recall ever seeing anything like this before.

My welder informs me that the steal is too thin to weld. Looks like they're about to be pulled.

All my funds are being allocated into my Buick that is headed to TEP this month.

Would like to go stainless so I don't have to worry about this again.

The hookers on my 87, while a bit rusty, are holding up great.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sorry, but what exactly are you asking? I agree with your welder, those headers are toast. If you're looking for some budget options right now I'd def go with 1-7/8 primaries. Speed engineering has a set that should mate up with you're stock y pipe for under 300 and they're polished stainless
Old 08-20-2014, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I imagine I am on this path with my coated headers. They have been on since spring 2003, so I won't be suprised. There were not many/if any stainless options in those days. Stainless 1 7/8th will be the order of the day.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This,

and some JB Weld should hold long enough to save for some new headers.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-71250/overview/

Quick Reply: Hooker Longtubes, optional 02 sensors