General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

$$ Cost to install entire AC Unit

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation $$ Cost to install entire AC Unit

So I currently live in Washington state but am moving to Florida in a couple weeks. The entire AC unit in my 98 camaro was removed before I bought it.

Does anyone know a rough estimate on how much it would cost me to buy all the components and them have them installed?

Any help is appreciated because I am gonna be sweating like a pig in Florida with no AC
Old 08-21-2014, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look it all up on rockauto,
$220 compressor
$100 condenser
$35 accumulator with suction line
$70 both high side hoses i think
have to find line from evap to accumulator, high pressure sensor
$500-600 ballpark if everything is easily available from rock, autozone, napa.
otherwise find part # and look up on gmpartsdirect

option a = install stuff yourself then find place that will accept to finish job,
option b = buy stuff and find shop that will accept the parts you give them to do the job, which i think you'll have a much harder time finding than option a,
option c = get quotes from shops that are fair to do the entire thing, who will then warranty the work, have done in FL not WA obviously.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just moved from Florida, and yea its hot with out AC.
I also fixed the AC myself because its HOT in Florida! and the hourly labor rate down there is high. (at least to me its was)
Best bet is to do it your self, Its really not that difficult, and you can rent all the tools from Auto Zone ( I did ).
If you want someone to do it, I would have Aamco or another National chain do it. Since then you would have the Warranty no matter where you go. But you are going to pay with a big chain like that.

I recommend you do it your self, it is not difficult at all, just very time consuming. I ordered most everything from RockAuto, except a few things that i found cheaper on Amazon.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:10 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Baker
So I currently live in Washington state but am moving to Florida in a couple weeks. The entire AC unit in my 98 camaro was removed before I bought it.

Does anyone know a rough estimate on how much it would cost me to buy all the components and them have them installed?

Any help is appreciated because I am gonna be sweating like a pig in Florida with no AC
Where in Florida are you moving to....?

I know this sounds crazy.....but going to a dealership isn't the worst idea. Most dealerships down here in Ft. Lauderdale....at least my Pontiac dealer.....offers lifetime Parts and Labor on A/C work or repair. You might pay $1,000....but you will never pay a single penny for an A/C repair or service again.
Any other shop will only offer 30, 60, 90 day, maybe 1 year.........and charge about the same amount of $$$.

I had my dealer replace a compressor and other parts and a line a long time ago for $800.00......I have already had a brand new compressor installed and an electrical switch to the compressor that fried..........FREE parts and labor on both visits. It has already paid for itself more than once over.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also looking to put a/c on my car. My local junk yard has a V6 Firebird, how many of the parts are the same between the V6 and an LS1 for air conditioning? I was hoping this would be an option for the more expensive parts.

Last edited by Wahawk; 08-24-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Quick Reply: $$ Cost to install entire AC Unit