Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

New fuel pump failure, I need ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New fuel pump failure, I need ideas!

(2000 Z28 A4) So I installed a new fuel pump on Wednesday, August 20. My wife drove the car 50 miles round trip to and from work on Thursday with no problems. We took the car out Thursday night to get food and since she was in the car, I let it idle while I picked up our order. As I walked away from the car, it died. I thought it was a fluke, got our food, started up the car, and it died in the middle of the road.

I did the trap door install and had not yet secured the panel; I messed with the wiring and connections for a bit and told her to start it. The car started, shuddered and died. I waited a few minutes, tried again and nothing, just starter crank. I messed with the connections again, waited, started it and drove maybe 200 feet and it died again. Tow truck home... Yay.

I just got done with a fuel filter tonight, thinking that might be a problem even though I changed it about a year ago. Same thing, pump primed and died again. It almost seems as though the car runs on the primed fuel and thats it. After the pump primes it's like it doesn't continue to pump. ANY THOUGHTS????

SUMMARY: I JUST replaced fuel pump/filter, car drove fine for about 50 miles, now the car dies after idling for around 10-15 seconds.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:31 AM
12 Second Club

Check your crank sensor. Had the same issue with my olds. Had crack in sensor, it would draw moisture and short out after about 30 feet of driving. Could be the issue. I replaced the fuel pump too thinking that was it.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Teching In

That was my next thought, thanks! I ended up installing another fuel pump and it's been great. I just happened to get a defective one.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

Unless you bought a cheap no name pump, The odds of having 2 in a row are pretty high. But things happen. I'm glad that's all it was. I hope you put an access panel in to make it easier next time if you keep the car that long.

Quick Reply: New fuel pump failure, I need ideas!