Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

PCA Autocross Race video. 8/24/2014.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PCA Autocross Race video. 8/24/2014.

Whoever heard of a 75mph slalom? Most of the slaloms I've paced out before go between 25 and 33 steps. This one was 37 paces. That's a huge distance between cones. I was afraid to turn the wheel. There was a couple of other spots that were real quick too. I made sure my belts were tight. 2nd. overall out of 110 cars.

Steve
Old 08-25-2014, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Now that's a nice wide open course!!!
Old 08-26-2014, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

What speeds and RPM's are you turning there? That looked like a great time and a fun course! You are getting a lot of seat time! What can you share with us to benefit from your seat time? What tires are you running and what pressures are you running at the races? I guess it's also important to know the ambient temps while racing too...

Great Job and thanks for posting!

Greg
Old 08-27-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gscherer78ta
What speeds and RPM's are you turning there? That looked like a great time and a fun course! You are getting a lot of seat time! What can you share with us to benefit from your seat time? What tires are you running and what pressures are you running at the races? I guess it's also important to know the ambient temps while racing too...

Great Job and thanks for posting!

Greg
Thanks Greg.

I run (4) Hoosiers 315/30/18 on 10.5 Z06 wheels.
30psi front. 28psi rear. Max. neg. camber. 1/4" toe out in the front. 1/8" toe in at the rear. 35mm front sway bar. Hotchkis rear sway bar set stiff. 90-95 degree temps. 2004 Corvette Z06. All stock, except what I listed. Even the shocks.

I do get a lot of seat time for autocross. About 24 laps a month.

I'm far from being a great driver, but can do okay locally. This is what I've picked up over the years.
(1) Read Speed Secrets from Ross Bentley. Any or all of them.
(2) Get the great drivers in your area and ask them for help. Have them drive your car and sit with you while your driving. Tell them not to sugar coat there thoughts.
(3) Drive as many different cars you can.
(4) Walk the track many times before the event. You don't want to be guessing where your going your first lap.
(5) Go over the lap you just completed in your head, and fix the mistakes in grid. Mistakes are great, but your only allowed to make them once.
(6) Drive the limit every inch of the track. If the car is on rails, your going to slow.
(7) Get video cameras.
(8) Seeing, hearing and feeling is the way the car communticates to you. Pay attention.
(9) Ride with other drivers and practice number eight (above) while there driving.
(10) Stay motivated.

That should be enough to work on.

Steve
Old 08-28-2014, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the tips! I get from 6-20 laps a month. Most of the courses I go on are much shorter and tighter than what I see from yours, I don't get to wind up my motor nearly as much....

I would feel awkward asking to drive someone else's car and I can't think of anyone- even friends that wouldn't feel awkward driving my car. That said, I understand the premise of your comment. I ride with as many people as I have time to ride.

How long have you been doing autocross and how long have you had that car?
Old 09-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Here's another POV of the course... Steve is certifiably one of the best drivers in our region, but I wanted to drop in with the z28.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

B4- nice run! What do you have for motor, tires, trans? As I was watching the two dials it looked like you were taching into 7200 rpm and 120mph? What gear are you running in that can take you from 40mph to 120mph?
Old 09-15-2014, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gscherer78ta
B4- nice run! What do you have for motor, tires, trans? As I was watching the two dials it looked like you were taching into 7200 rpm and 120mph? What gear are you running in that can take you from 40mph to 120mph?
Haha I wish I was hitting 120 mph, for some reason I can only extract speed in KpH with my particular app. I hit a maximum of 71 mph going into that slalom.

The car is a 2014 z/28, all stock on Hankook RS3.

Quick Reply: PCA Autocross Race video. 8/24/2014.