Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need help with installation!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with installation!!!

Hey all,

Did a search and cannot find anything helpful. I have a 98 Z-28. I am swapping a 2000 steering wheel w/radio controls, 2000 airbag and 2000 clockspring. All set to do swap, and what a pain in the ***!!
Took off old wheel, and started to try and get the column off so i can run the clockspring wires..OMG what a pain in the ***!! Camaro is hard down right now. Can anyone shed light, procedures?
I looked on LS1.com, and there was something but not very good (sorry if you wrote it, no offense). Could not do it the way they said. The wires are too tight to pull through like it suggested and I don't want to screw anything up.
I am thinking of getting a Helms manual, but since 98 didn't come with the steering wheel controls, do you think a 2000 Helms? And then how different from a 98 is it so would it be useful later?
Really in a bind, can anyone help? If so, please post or e-mail at dave5514@comcast.net I hate having my baby down, but I am gonna get this new stuff installed. Thanks all.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Do you mean the airbag coil? I have a Haynes manual here if you need me to post pics of the pages. If that's what you mean, the manual says to re-install airbag coil:
If necessary, center the airbag coil as follows (It will only become uncentered if the spring lock is depressed, and the hub rotated with the coil off the column) SEE ILLUSTRATION:
A) Turn the coil over and depress the spring lock.
B) Rotate the hub in the direction of the arrow until it stops.
C) Rotate the hub in the opposite direction 2-1/2 turns and release the spring lock.

Then install the wave washer and the airbag. Does this help?

Last edited by Snootch; 05-23-2004 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

Hey snootch, thanks for the response but no, not it. I have the instructions for putting the clock spring in. I am having a time removing the steering column collar, housing, whatever you want to call it, so I can route the wires through the column and down to under the dashboard.
I am trying to findd a Helms factory manual, I have a feeling that is what I will need to complete this process.
Again, thanks for the response.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

I just ordered a 1998 and 2000 Helms service manual set. That way I have the info for my 1998 and the 2000 (donor wheel, airbag and clock spring) available. They should be here by Thursday/Friday, so then this weekend I may have it done, and a basic install doc and stuff associated.
Man, this has turned into like a crusdae for me! Plus I am going to sell the 2000 Helm manual set, so if anyone is interested, let me know.