General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help!!! engine doesnt crank when hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! engine doesnt crank when hot

ok so this winter I did a heads cam swap on my car. Also replaced, starter(napa rebuild), headers, and a bunch of other misc. stuff. After the swap my car wouldn't crank when it would get hot, it would just engage the flywheel, I also noticed my temp gauge was reading 0. So I replaced the coolant temp sensor on the head. It fixed the temp gauge issue, but I still have the problem where ill drive around for a while, stop and get a soda or something, than go to start it again and it will just click. I can hear the starter engage the flywheel but no crank. The battery tested good for recharge and cranking amps, and the alternator tested fine, I traced the hot lead from the battery and everything looks kosher, I also checked the connections on the starter and currently pulled the starter, I figure I will have it bench tested, any one got any other ideas? am I missing something? I have searched the forum and couldn't find anyone that has the same problem as far as the car not cranking. she starts on the first crank when shes cold though 100%... idk im at a loss
Old 09-03-2014, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try replacing the starter relay.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If everything else is good as you said:

Your starter is getting HOT and not putting out the power to spin the flywheel....seen it a bunch of times.

What kind of starter.....?

Some long tube headers will get the starter too hot to start........you may have to use a heat shield....

Old 09-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

a napa rebuild, nothing special... I ordered a heat shield from summit... my question now is that, is the starter shot? it starts fine when its cold
Old 09-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by foxriderry
a napa rebuild, nothing special... I ordered a heat shield from summit... my question now is that, is the starter shot? it starts fine when its cold
Starter is fine. Install the heat shield and it should start fine when the engine and LTs are hot.

Not sure what kind of heat shield you bought.....but if its actual sheet metal...try to leave as big of a gap between the sheet metal and starter case as possible. Air needs to flow through that gap.......

Old 09-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the help, I installed a starter blanket, and the problem seems too be solved, but i'm not sure how I feel about the blanket, it just seems kinda half assed, so I think im gonna try to fab up a heat shield when I get a chance, thanks for the help
Old 09-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by foxriderry
thanks for the help, I installed a starter blanket, and the problem seems too be solved, but i'm not sure how I feel about the blanket, it just seems kinda half assed, so I think im gonna try to fab up a heat shield when I get a chance, thanks for the help
Yea.....thin piece of sheet metal......easy and it works better because it gets airflow.

Quick Reply: Help!!! engine doesnt crank when hot