Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do

Old 05-23-2004, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What to do

I might have bent a few pushrods, gonna inspect this week. If i did bend them i am considering on doin a cam only to the car no heads. What other components should i change? What type of cam do u suggest? Here are the guide lines lol

It kinda has to be emmisions friendly, but doesnt matter.
Car is street driven and raced at the track.
Dont want to make sick power (currently at 343) looking for maybe close to 400
I should def. change the intake right?
Wanna do this for less than $800
here are my mods
Shes a 2000
85mm MAS air, ported throtle body,Free Flow air lid, SLP cold air induction
Jet hot Lts' true dual H-pipe with Bullit mufflers, TB bypass, ls1 edit, 25% crank pulley.

thx for ur feedback

Last edited by diggla; 05-23-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by diggla
I might have bent a few pushrods, gonna inspect this week. If i did bend them i am considering on doin a cam only to the car no heads. What other components should i change? What type of cam do u suggest? Here are the guide lines lol

It kinda has to be emmisions friendly, but doesnt matter.
Car is street driven and raced at the track.
Dont want to make sick power (currently at 343) looking for maybe close to 400
I should def. change the intake right?
Wanna do this for less than $800
here are my mods
Shes a 2000
85mm MAS air, ported throtle body,Free Flow air lid, SLP cold air induction
Jet hot Lts' true dual H-pipe with Bullit mufflers, TB bypass, ls1 edit, 25% crank pulley.

thx for ur feedback
Unless you can do the work yourself, you have already blown your budget on a cam install?

Yes, it makes no sense to do a cam without the changing the intake...the ls1 intake is definetly a chocking point. Under $600 is pushing it. You will most likely have to buy all used parts to get under $600 but I doubt if you can do it. There are some used LS6 intakes for $300 in the forsale section. You can most likely also get a used cam for about the same maybe a little cheaper lots of them forsale right now because many people are going with larger cams.

However, you need to get a gasket set and new bolts...this is pretty much going to take you over your budget. Not sure how many miles you have on your engine, but would definetly change my timing chain may be a bit stretched, at least give you piece of mind, then there is the oil pump? So you see, its going to cost a little more than $600...so I would say buy the intake for now and save up some more money.

Good luck
Old 05-23-2004, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Didnt think of it that way, I am doin the work myself and with a friend. Dont wanna go threw the whole expense of spending a $hit load of money. Not worth it to me, figured since i might have bent a few rods should just do it since i have everything taken apart. I might consider $1000 a max spend but like i said wanna try and do it on a budget. Used cams, is it a wise choice to go or just buy new
Old 05-23-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by diggla
Didnt think of it that way, I am doin the work myself and with a friend. Dont wanna go threw the whole expense of spending a $hit load of money. Not worth it to me, figured since i might have bent a few rods should just do it since i have everything taken apart. I might consider $1000 a max spend but like i said wanna try and do it on a budget. Used cams, is it a wise choice to go or just buy new
I actually have a used cam in my car now and many others do as well, not a real problem by doing that as long as the person you are buying it from from did not have any engine problems, or as long as they don't have 100,000 miles on the thing.

Changing bent pushrods obviously does not require you to get anywhere near your cam, so unless you just want to change your cam?? I ran a very low 12 in the quarter with a cam only change but also changed springs etc, which again may wind up blowing your budget?

Decisons??? Remember, increasing power is addicting, once you do one thing it turns into another spending more money...
Old 05-23-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed... pushrods are no where near the cam... if u have ever dug to get the pushrods... they are tough for a man with larger hands...Its a pain in the butt but u do what u got to do... here is a good site on how to get the cam out... many ways to try... But its a LOOOOONG process so be ready to work and be patient.

Link
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

Goodluck man...

Search this Thread