General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Trans am headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans am headlight question

Ok gents, the actuator arm (or linkage) on my driver side headlight keeps popping out of place, and I'm not sure what type of retainer is required to keep it in position. I'm guessing it is a piece that may require crimping or a type of snap on cap? Is it something I can pick up at the auto store or would I have to rig something up?
Old 09-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Take a look at the other side. The linkage keys in to the motor shaft (I assume that's where its popping off.) and then a flange nut holds it down. It's a tight fit on the shaft, so it should stay on even without a nut - but the nut is really needed to crank it down on the shaft.

That being said, getting the arm aligned with the keyed portion of the shaft can be tricky. It has to be just right, otherwise I won't tighten down properly.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, but its not coming off the motor. Its popping out of the headlight assembly housing. The linkage is bent from closing wrong, so I tried to straighten it out. Seems to work for a time or two, then the linkage pops off the housing. Frustrating really, I may have to take the whole thing out to figure this thing out. Its too damn hot in my garage for this.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I recall that's a riveted joint. How does it compare to your light in the other side of the car? Replacing the door, with a good linkage attached, may be your best solution.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Bingo, it is riveted. Got a lock washer for a temp fix. The arm is bent, and causes the joint to pop out of place. Found a sight online that sells the actuator crank arm but they are currently out of stock. Hopefully the new lock washer will hold her down until I can find a replacement. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Trans am headlight question