Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing a cam!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Choosing a cam!

Ok. I have a 99 z28 with Borla catback. (basically a stock car) I plan on doing LT headers and a Lid by the time I do a cam... (I should have these and the 700 bucks for a cam kit by the end of June. But i thought researching now would be the best idea.

I want something that is going to make a noticable difference. But i am going to college 7 hours away and i will be driving there and home atleast 5 times a year. Gas isnt TO BIG of a problem but id like to get close to 20mpg if possible... a little less isnt going to hurt.

So the question is... what is going to give me a some good power and still keep me in a possition to go to college?

Another question is.... I have a short throw shifter but im guessing with a good cam im guessing around 380 to 400 hp... will i need to upgrade my clutch? will i need to upgrade anything else?

Please help me.. And thanks to you who do.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

doing a little searching on this forum never hurts...anyway i recommend atleast from my stand point the Thunder Racing 224/224 cam it has been very reliable so far(had it a week) and has very good street manners and kicks *** when you open her up im not sure what your full intentions are with this car but if you plan on drag racing it at all i would step up to some sort of a ram or spec clutch thats going to hold up to the extra power.....also when changing my cam for good measure i replaced the stock oil pump and timing chain...my timing chain had mega slop in it when we changed FYI and my car had about 79k on the clock when we did it
Old 05-23-2004, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I plan on drag racing it a lil here and there and im def going to open it up on those long boring drives to college at SIU carbondale. I have 66k on the clock but only about 20k on the motor. Have you had your car dynoed since the cam? Did u need a tune? What did it cost for the tuning? What kinda numbers do u put down on that? What is the LSA on it as well? Thanks for the help.