General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

leak found but what is it

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default leak found but what is it

Looked under my car this morning to find oil under my car. Looked under the car to find what you see in the attached picture. Looks to be some sort of oil line that is getting carved out by a steel bar going between the 2 front wheels. Perhaps the steel bar has enough play that whenever I hit a bump with my front wheels, it knocks it into that line.

The line is leaking a silver colored metallic lube, and every time I rub my finger over it, i hear a sound that is similar to pressurized air escaping. The sound stops after I stop rubbing over the carved out spot.

What am I looking at? I would say the countermeasure at this point is to found out what it is, replace it, and run it further away from that steel bar.

Engine is an LS3, in a WS6.
Attached Thumbnails leak found but what is it-img_20140907_165153474.jpg  

Last edited by bunkerbuster; 09-07-2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Forgot some underlying info
Old 09-07-2014, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well that line is hitting in your sway bar, and I am pretty sure it is you ac line coming from your compressor that it is rubbing through. A better picture would help but I'm pretty sure it's your ac line that's why you hear refrigerant leaking out.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Undertow74........is correct.

I had to have that A/C line replaced for that exact same reason about 8 months ago. You will soon have no A/C once it rubs through and all your refrigerant sprays out.

I had it replaced under warranty at my dealer but that line is roughly $150.00 new. Probably one hour labor to install it.

BUT.....you need to replace BOTH front sway bar end links.......that is why it is rubbing the A/C line.

I personally zip tied a piece of rubber to my sway bar as a little bumper guard in case that ever happens again......so it won't rub through the A/C line again.....

Quick Reply: leak found but what is it