General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No crank no start, Battery nut is stripping battery terminals

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No crank no start, Battery nut is stripping battery terminals

Having no crank no start issues, replaced a battery after the mechanic said the cable had a loose connection, it did. Got a new battery, it screwed in great. Thought all the problems were solved. Car started and ran for a few days. Drove it work, then after turning it off it's back to no crank no start. I disconnected the negative and reconnected it thinking security or key issue? It ended up stripping the new one day old battery terminal all over again. I'll need another battery and new cables (if these are even sold??). Can I replace just the nut on the end or does the entire cable get replaced? Or do a hack job and convert them to top-mount connectors?

What else could be causing this issue? Mechanic originally said starter and alternator had normal numbers when tested.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can get new cables at the dealership that are made for your car or universal replacements from any parts store. The new cables will be much more expensive at the dealer but will fit exactly. If you aren't that worried about exact fitment, the cables from the parts store can work just fine. I would get new nuts or bolts(parts store should have these as well) and clean up the factory cables/terminals if possible. If they aren't too beaten up, they will be the best. They will also likely warranty out the battery if it is not that old. So if you can just replace the nuts/bolts, you should be out just a few bucks.

Clean every bit of corrosion or other junk off of all connections. This is critical. Parts stores will also sell cleaner but you can use baking soda and water to kill the acid and a stiff wire brush to clean the terminals physically. Dry them well before reassembling and get some terminal protector spray to keep corrosion from coming back.

Quick Reply: No crank no start, Battery nut is stripping battery terminals