Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Do I need subframe connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need subframe connectors?

I did some searching and couldn't find a direct answer so if this has been discussed already I apologize. I have an 01 SS with 86k miles, it's a t-top car. This is my first time owning a car with t-tops, they don't leak whatsoever, seals are in lperfect shape. I know the body structure on these aren't much different from hard tops but I don't know how prone these things are to body flex. My question is, do I need subframe connectors or is body flex something I should worry about without subframe connectors? It is a cammed car it puts down 410 whp, I know there's a lot of t-top cars here with more power than that so I just needed some opinions. I don't race the car at all just a street car. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say no. Put a bmr torque arm on it and call it a day.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Launching!

Had any of the usual quarter panel buckling over the rear wheels? Subframe connectors are supposed to prevent that. Havent gotten them yet for my car, but I've had that buckling for years from body flex.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

I have the founders SBFC and they definitely made the car feel more rigid and seemed to get rid of alote of the rattles my car had (t-top) car. Definitely worth the small investment IMO.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

You also might want to post this in the suspension thread so you can get some of the site sponsors to chime in.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:35 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 94BlueZ
I did some searching and couldn't find a direct answer so if this has been discussed already I apologize. I have an 01 SS with 86k miles, it's a t-top car. This is my first time owning a car with t-tops, they don't leak whatsoever, seals are in lperfect shape. I know the body structure on these aren't much different from hard tops but I don't know how prone these things are to body flex. My question is, do I need subframe connectors or is body flex something I should worry about without subframe connectors? It is a cammed car it puts down 410 whp, I know there's a lot of t-top cars here with more power than that so I just needed some opinions. I don't race the car at all just a street car. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Any time you have a unibody vehicle like your 2001 Camaro SS I really recommend running subframe connectors. They will minimize any chassis flex you have which will lead to more consistent handling, performance, and give the car a more precise feel. We have also had customers regularly tell us that installing subframe connectors on their cars helped with rattles and other various noises from chassis flex. Right now we only have the weld-in tubular and boxed subframe connectors but we have some awesome new subframe connectors that we will be releasing over the next 4-8 weeks. If you do decide on getting some subframe connectors for your car I would recommend holding off till we release our new ones as they will definitely be worth the wait.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Any time you have a unibody vehicle like your 2001 Camaro SS I really recommend running subframe connectors. They will minimize any chassis flex you have which will lead to more consistent handling, performance, and give the car a more precise feel. We have also had customers regularly tell us that installing subframe connectors on their cars helped with rattles and other various noises from chassis flex. Right now we only have the weld-in tubular and boxed subframe connectors but we have some awesome new subframe connectors that we will be releasing over the next 4-8 weeks. If you do decide on getting some subframe connectors for your car I would recommend holding off till we release our new ones as they will definitely be worth the wait.
I don't have the typical creases or dimples in the quarters, I saw other posts related to sfc's in this section that's why I posted it here. I really don't notice any chassis flex at all the car is pretty solid doesn't rattle a bit, which it shouldn't given the fact that it's been babied it's whole life. Just to be on the safe side I probably will look at getting a set of these when they come out. I know I don't put down a ton of torque compared to other cars on here (399 to the wheels) but it can't hurt given the fact that I'm putting 4.10s in it as we speak. When they come in I will get in contact with you, thanks for letting me know.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:19 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 94BlueZ
I don't have the typical creases or dimples in the quarters, I saw other posts related to sfc's in this section that's why I posted it here. I really don't notice any chassis flex at all the car is pretty solid doesn't rattle a bit, which it shouldn't given the fact that it's been babied it's whole life. Just to be on the safe side I probably will look at getting a set of these when they come out. I know I don't put down a ton of torque compared to other cars on here (399 to the wheels) but it can't hurt given the fact that I'm putting 4.10s in it as we speak. When they come in I will get in contact with you, thanks for letting me know.
I responded back to your PM so when you get a chance shoot me an e-mail and I will get you a sneak peak of what we have coming with our new subframe connectors.

I am also going to throw a thread up before the end of the day with some information.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have a vert which need sfc more than coupes but i use to go over bumps and my car would rock like a boat, now with bmr weld in sfc's no rock , smooth and straight down the road. i couldnt believe the diff!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:03 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
i have a vert which need sfc more than coupes but i use to go over bumps and my car would rock like a boat, now with bmr weld in sfc's no rock , smooth and straight down the road. i couldnt believe the diff!
It is good to hear that you are happy with your BMR subframe connectors!

Old 09-27-2014, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

get em . they stiffen the car up . have them on my formula
Old 09-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Launching!

First thing I put on any of my f bodies.....very noticeable difference for the better. You will thank yourself after you put em on
Old 09-29-2014, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

i had founders on my old z28. They are cheaper then all others out there and tucked up nice. However even with lowering springs and bigger sways i couldn't really feel the difference. however the peace of mind was there.

Last edited by 96z28_lt1; 09-29-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: because im dumb
Old 09-29-2014, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I personally think they are the most overrated part of a suspension you can buy unless it's a strip car. I cut mine out after years with them because I couldn't stand the harsh ride anymore. Made the car much more drivable. Get good shocks, sways and springs first then go from there.
The following users liked this post:
777Shock777 (09-23-2021)
Old 10-22-2014, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

I'd get them
Old 11-09-2014, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sub frames were some of the first suspension mods I did with the car. I never thought I had body flex when going around corners, but after I had them installed, I was absolutely amazed at how much better the handling was. I actually have the LG sub frames with the x-braces, which you cannot get anymore. This triangulates the floor pan and connects to the tunnel brace. How much that helps, I do not know, but I have always loved the handling. I have replaced all my other LG suspension components with BMR, and the suspension feel is even better. My tunnel brace is now BMR, along with the sways, springs, lower control arms, panhard rod and Koni shocks. The car has awesome handling and it stays flat in the corners with no flex or creaks. I great thing with welded in subra es is that you can jack the car up with them. Gives me some options on we're to put the jack stands. Some folks do not care for the bolted in subframe connectors, but I cannot offer my thoughts on these as I went for the welded in versions along with the weeded in lower control arm brackets. Did, the weleded in sub frames make the ride stiffer? Possibly, but the handling was improved by a large margin and it's an F-body, not a Caddy. :-)
Old 11-19-2014, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wlsmoku
First thing I put on any of my f bodies.....very noticeable difference for the better. You will thank yourself after you put em on
+1

Should be the first mod for any F Body... especially a modded one.

The difference is very noticable.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would recommend them for sure. Its my first mod on every camaro I've had. I have a pretty steep driveway and when I go up it I can feel the car twisting. After subframes if I don't have enough speed on any curb driveway I will have one of the rear tires not contacting the ground just due to the body stiffness. Not sure if I explained that well but did the best I can. Also its the way the car feels when you drive hard to explain other then feels more solid feels quicker in response as you turn in and as your going fast in a wide turn you can feel how rigid the body is and its just confidence inspiring more then anything. Yes some will say its not needed but after you drive one with SFC's its hard not to get one for your ride.

Quick Reply: Do I need subframe connectors?