Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 04:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default TH400 Questions

I was given a TH400 to use in my next turbo build. Was told it was a working transmission but I want to have it freshened up a bit. I have a few questions before buying anything though. I had a stock 4L80e in my Camaro and don't know much of anything about the different valve bodies and whatnot.

With that being said, I'll start with the valve body. I might as well buy one with a brake, but which one? I know Jake has his own, and also sells Griner's. I have heard some good things about Hipsters, CK, FTI, BTE etc., as well. Any input? Not looking to set the world fire and won't be hardcore racing the car. Just want something consistent and reliable.

Next, when running a RMVB on the street, is it still OK to downshift at speed when wanting to do a quick blast on the interstate? For instance if I am in 3rd, and want to downshift to 2nd, can I do this? Forgive me for my ingorance. Or does it depend on which valve body you get? This car will be driven on the street a lot.

Next, what rebuild kit would you recommend for something in the 700-800 rwhp range? Can I get away with a stock rebuild or should some parts be upgraded. I see Jake has a stage II kit that he sells, but would that be ok for what I want to do? Like mentioned before, I had a stock 4L80e outside of a HD-2 shift-kit, and never had any problems at the power level I was at. This car will be similar power wise to the LQ4 S480 setup I had in the Camaro.

Anything else I will need? Different pan?

I plan on having a local guy install everything. Any input and advice is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: TH400 Questions