Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting Block

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Block

So, I picked up a block from a man that has been painted purple... and that doesn't really go well with the current Pearl White, or the planned Ultrasonic Blue Mica paint jobs.

The block is already assembled and torqued - ready to go... As far as I know, since it has been greased with assembly lube, bringing it to be tanked is out of the picture.

How can I re-prep the block surface for good adherence for the paint? Could I spray over it with a self etching primer to eat down into the existing paint?

I am positive this has been answered at some point in time, but I am only turning up having it vatted, media blasted or taking a wire wheel to it... is there some other way that is easier? Not trying to cut corners... I'm just trying to not have to do a ton of extra work.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If its the block im thinking of (did you buy it off a guy in md?) its powdercoated. (cant imagine theres to many purple ls motors out there I know the original owner of it.) My advice would be to scuff it a little with sand paper, use a good engine enamel primer, then spray it whatever color you desire.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

most primer's I have used do not work well on top of paint, scuff the paint with a scotchbrite pad and spray fresh over the top of it would be my plan of attack
Old 09-29-2014, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do you think powdercoat would make a good primer (like for a whole car) or would that not work...
Old 09-30-2014, 05:35 AM
TECH Resident

good luck finding an oven that big but even if you could i doubt powder would be much a a supstitute at all for traditional paint. Its made to harden in the color you spray without a primer
Old 09-30-2014, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im making an oven.... its not hard lol
Old 10-01-2014, 05:41 AM
TECH Resident

well in that case more power to you, but again no it wouldnt be a good primer for regular paint. It would be very hard to do a whole vehicle (expecially an f body) because you have to electrically charge whatever your spraying to get the powder to hold to it. This leaves everything from the doors foward on an f-body out of the question. Even if the car were all metal it would still be quite an ordeal.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. The block was purchased in N. TX. The man said it was for his wife's truck - IDK. In any case, I had asked and he assured me it was just rattle can. I just didn't know the best way to attack this... generally when I paint, I get as much if not ALL of the previous coating off to allow excellent adhesion.

What if I scuffed it, used a self etching primer and then painted over that? Do ya'll think that would be enough? It's going to be black, so it will definitely overpower the purple, but I want to make sure it doesn't start flaking and looking like ****. I planned to clear it a few times to hopefully protect the paint as well.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:36 AM
TECH Resident

that should work good, id use a self etching and then a good engine enamel primer, then lay the black to it. Should work well.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry forgot i was talking about a whole car, but it should be the same principle. not sure im gunna build a fullsize oven yet lol

Quick Reply: Painting Block