General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2000 SS Window clunking and binding

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2000 SS Window clunking and binding

All,

I have done a lot of searching but I can't quite find the info I need and I'm a bit of a noob to the windows in these cars as my 99 T/A has never had an issue.

I picked up a 2000 SS a couple days ago on a steal ($3500 with 74K on it) and I have an issue with the window. It binds and clunks when going up and down. It actually binds so bad that it won't move at all and I have to assist it by pulling or pushing. It appears that the window motor has been replaced by all of the holes drilled in the door but I'm not sure if anything else has been done beyond that.

When the window binds, I see a good bit of flex in the door about 7 or 8 O'Clock to where the window motor is. I'm guessing that flex is causing the teeth to bind? I can see a little scarring to the toothed wheel that contacts the motor but nothing crazy. I was going to attempt to find a mirror or something to look in there and try to see if I could spot an issue but I ran out of daylight.

Any input on this? I'm a bit lost as I just figured it was the window popping off track or something but it appears it's a bit more involved than that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Josh
Old 10-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Usually, this is caused by the installation of the new motor. The first thing would be to check for loose nuts and bolts securing the motor to the regulator.

The regulator gear rack and the gear on the motor are bomb-proof. But, if the motor comes loose, they won't mesh right and can bind or not engage each other.

It's pretty important to address this quickly because the gear teeth can grind down if things aren't meshing correctly. If you have loose bolts and the gear/teeth aren't damaged, adding some LocTite and re-securing the bolts/nuts should get you in good shape.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
Usually, this is caused by the installation of the new motor. The first thing would be to check for loose nuts and bolts securing the motor to the regulator.

The regulator gear rack and the gear on the motor are bomb-proof. But, if the motor comes loose, they won't mesh right and can bind or not engage each other.

It's pretty important to address this quickly because the gear teeth can grind down if things aren't meshing correctly. If you have loose bolts and the gear/teeth aren't damaged, adding some LocTite and re-securing the bolts/nuts should get you in good shape.
Thank you sir, I checked all of them yesterday when I pulled the panel and I didn't see or feel any loose nuts or bolts. Stuck a socket on them and all were good. Luckily the car isn't even tagged yet so I don't need to drive it anywhere. Hopefully the damage is minimal.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this will help as I don't know how bad the noise is, but maybe its just some window adjustment, mayhaps just really loose and then grabbing in the frame?

http://shbox.com/1/adj_window.html
Old 10-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by weeble1
I checked all of them yesterday when I pulled the panel and I didn't see or feel any loose nuts or bolts.
The next thing I'd do is pop out the door speaker and use a mirror to look at the motor gear engagement and see if any of the teeth are stripped or worn. Just be careful not to destroy your mirror or chop off a hand when the window comes down...
Old 10-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is my guess also, loose motor. I believe the stock motor is riveted and to replace one would need the right tools for the large rivits or use nuts and bolts.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:50 AM
Launching!

ok sounds good guys, thank you. I'll check it out.

Quick Reply: 2000 SS Window clunking and binding